iCloud Pricing Revealed Ahead of Beta Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]custodian-1[/nom]expensive[/citation]

What are the competitive prices out there? That doesn't seem that bad to me.

G

and... there goes teh internets....

"Mom, my cloud's full!"
"Ok dear"
"Mom, its full again"
"Ok deer"
"Mom...."

Apple Support "well it seems little jimmy has 27 copies of everything on your cloud storage."
Mom,"Oh my, so how much more space should I buy then?"

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
My question on cloud storage is...

How secure is it? Will I have Apple Techs snooping through the files? What privacy can I be guaranteed? Does the government have full access to the files?

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Well... that's more space than google docs so I think I'll be using the free service. I think the others shouldn't be more than $1 per gigabyte per year. But I don't know much about typical online storage prices. (I just stick with the free ones)

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]gtvr[/nom]What are the competitive prices out there? That doesn't seem that bad to me.[/citation]
iCloud - 50Gb, $100 a year
My ISP - 100Gb, free forever
Hard drive from Fry's - 1000GB, $70, no annual fee

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]iCloud - 50Gb, $100 a yearMy ISP - 100Gb, free foreverHard drive from Fry's - 1000GB, $70, no annual fee[/citation]

I Second that!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Here's the way to go, store all your content at home on a bank of several 2TB drives and as time progresses just buy more if you get full.
Install an FTP server software for your PC.
Install an FTP client on your mobile device, there are already free ones available for Android and Windows.
Happily browse your mahoosive collection of whatever risk free and without cost.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
So many idiots with stupid posts. The only drawback to iCloud is it's more expensive than, say Amazon cloud storage (though it's cheaper than Dropbox).

Worried about getting hacked or Apple snooping your files? Guess you better stop using Hotmail, Gmail, Live or any other online service. Better yet, stop using the internet altogether.

Make an FTP server at home and install a client on your mobile device? Stupid. Now I need to keep a computer running all the time at home consuming electricity. I have to pay TWICE the bandwidth (once from my home PC and once back to my mobile device). Oh, and even then all I've got is nothing more than a simple file storage system.

Tell me, Mr. Smart Guy, how is that FTP server going to back up my phone? And I mean ALL of my phone, not just stored documents or music. How is that FTP server going to allow me to keep my calendars, contacts, e-mails and other data/documents in sync for multiple people to view and/or work on?

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]So many idiots with stupid posts. The only drawback to iCloud is it's more expensive than, say Amazon cloud storage (though it's cheaper than Dropbox).Worried about getting hacked or Apple snooping your files? Guess you better stop using Hotmail, Gmail, Live or any other online service. Better yet, stop using the internet altogether.Make an FTP server at home and install a client on your mobile device? Stupid. Now I need to keep a computer running all the time at home consuming electricity. I have to pay TWICE the bandwidth (once from my home PC and once back to my mobile device). Oh, and even then all I've got is nothing more than a simple file storage system.Tell me, Mr. Smart Guy, how is that FTP server going to back up my phone? And I mean ALL of my phone, not just stored documents or music. How is that FTP server going to allow me to keep my calendars, contacts, e-mails and other data/documents in sync for multiple people to view and/or work on?[/citation]

Sounds like someone needs to cut back on the caffeine a bit.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]My question on cloud storage is...How secure is it? Will I have Apple Techs snooping through the files? What privacy can I be guaranteed? Does the government have full access to the files?[/citation]
Regardless of Apple claims, if someone wants the data stored there....they'll get it. I wouldn't expect Apple to be too concerned about user privacy. Hell, they want to control everything the user does with "Apple" branded devices, so what makes this any different? I'm sure if the gov't asks nicely, Apple will probably hand over the full contents of your "cloud drive"....

G

TBH if you're to lazy to plug in your device and sync, you deserve to have your money taken from you..

G

"When considering your needs, it's important to remember that iTunes music, apps, books and Photo Stream don't count towards your free 5GB of space. That 5GB is only affected by documents, mail, your full camera roll, app data and other settings and device information."

Everyone read that bit, right? Just wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.