iCloud Slaps Apple with a Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

acejologz

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
iCloud: Hey apple, we filed a lawsuit against you
Apple: Oh! ok, so what do you want us to do?
iCloud: ...
Apple: Hmmm, I suggest we'll pay/bribe you ?$million dollars, we can just settle this outside court. is that ok?

iCloud: good idea. $$$

^_^

AIstudio

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
I think its about time APPLE got brought down to earth. I love there products, even though I despise itunes etc.
They are the company that sue others for having things like rounded corner icons etc. If they want to do that then they better be prepared to be sued themselves.
Unfortunatley in this world there are Soooooooo many products that are similar I find it rediculous that companies behave like apple do.
Just my opinions mind ;o)

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
With all my disrespect for Apple, this is completely normal... so, Apple likes to name its products as i. iPhone, iPod, iPad... I'm surprised their laptop isn't called an iBook. It's obvious that their cloud service will be called "iCloud", so I bet this "iCloud Communications" has been just waiting patiently until Apple starts its service in order to fill a lawsuit. It won't go anywhere except the scenario described above: iCloud wants money and Apple wants the iCloud name, so Apple pays them.

What's more interesting, however, is why Apple haven't checked whether the name has been taken or not BEFORE they used that name?

This is another reminder on how people waste their time and tons of money on settling petty disputes over a silly name. Would be really fun if Apple just went and bought an entire company altogether to shut them up - if MS can waste $8.5kkk on Skype, Apple can definitely spend some cash on another VoIP company AND acquire the desired name! That would be a good way to teach companies how to stop filling stupid lawsuits all the time.

mcniglsworth

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
"ordering Apple to transfer to iCloud Communications the iCloud.com domain name"

Didn't apple pay like 2 mill for that domain?? How do they figure they are going to get that

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Apple really needs to come up with something a little more original than the whole "i" thing. I still think iPad sounds to much like a feminine product.

G

gosh! like the mac vs pc ads, maybe it's time to move on from the i-names. the ipod was almost ten years ago! maybe listen to your own company slogan and start thinking different.

afaik this isn't the first time, the rights to the iphone name was contested as well..

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Apple has been in the news as much as Microsoft was in the past. It's all negative Apple news these days. I love it!

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]With all my disrespect for Apple, this is completely normal... so, Apple likes to name its products as i. iPhone, iPod, iPad... I'm surprised their laptop isn't called an iBook. It's obvious that their cloud service will be called "iCloud", so I bet this "iCloud Communications" has been just waiting patiently until Apple starts its service in order to fill a lawsuit. It won't go anywhere except the scenario described above: iCloud wants money and Apple wants the iCloud name, so Apple pays them.What's more interesting, however, is why Apple haven't checked whether the name has been taken or not BEFORE they used that name?This is another reminder on how people waste their time and tons of money on settling petty disputes over a silly name. Would be really fun if Apple just went and bought an entire company altogether to shut them up - if MS can waste $8.5kkk on Skype, Apple can definitely spend some cash on another VoIP company AND acquire the desired name! That would be a good way to teach companies how to stop filling stupid lawsuits all the time.[/citation]

+1 I don't have anything of use beyond that to add to your comment :)

[citation][nom]mcniglsworth[/nom]"ordering Apple to transfer to iCloud Communications the iCloud.com domain name"Didn't apple pay like 2 mill for that domain?? How do they figure they are going to get that[/citation]

I think it was 4.5 mil or so.. However, kinda funny that they wait until Apple launches iCloud to attack.. If they came online in 2005.. Why haven't then been able to acquire the iCloud domain name through their "oh so legit practices".

Love or Hate Apple, the lawsuit is still just a cash grab.

Apple also went through the motions of purchasing a U. S. trademark registration for “iCloud,” Reg. No. 3,744,821, from a Swedish consulting companywhose use of the mark post-dates that of iCloud Communications by two years

Pathetic iCloud Comm. Pathetic.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]With all my disrespect for Apple, this is completely normal... so, Apple likes to name its products as i. iPhone, iPod, iPad... I'm surprised their laptop isn't called an iBook. It's obvious that their cloud service will be called "iCloud", so I bet this "iCloud Communications" has been just waiting patiently until Apple starts its service in order to fill a lawsuit. It won't go anywhere except the scenario described above: iCloud wants money and Apple wants the iCloud name, so Apple pays them.What's more interesting, however, is why Apple haven't checked whether the name has been taken or not BEFORE they used that name?This is another reminder on how people waste their time and tons of money on settling petty disputes over a silly name. Would be really fun if Apple just went and bought an entire company altogether to shut them up - if MS can waste $8.5kkk on Skype, Apple can definitely spend some cash on another VoIP company AND acquire the desired name! That would be a good way to teach companies how to stop filling stupid lawsuits all the time.[/citation]

They named one of their laptop lines the iBook
They were the macs before the intel ones
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibook

G

Sourced from The Colbert Report:

Apple flamethrower idea, the iMonfire.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
What? You don't think that a good name has serious value? Apple is a marketing company, above all. They know a catchy name alone is worth millions, and aren't afraid to go get it (see: "purcahse" of iphone, ipad, etc. mentioned above.) They are shrewd, but they play by the "rules".

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
"iPhone", "iPad", "iCloud", "Apple", and yet they sued Samsung for using rounded-icons on their Android phones, and sued that one school that used an actual apple in their logo. Apparently Apple thinks people will confused an educational institution with a software company, and will confused rounded buttons on an Android phone for an iPhone, but no one would ever confuse their iPad tablet device for the pre-existing iPad tablet device, nor their iPhone cell-phone for the iPhone mobile phone.

Hell, not only did the Beatles and Apple Corps. sue Apple Computer Inc.. for infringing, they made them sign an agreement not to enter the music industry, which they violated when they released iTunes (and had to pay even more money).

And as for squatting on iSomething, well, that's Apple's fault for using "i" in front of everything. 20 years from now Apple might create the iView 3D-holographic display. That doesn't mean someone can't create a company called iView TODAY that makes televisions, or name a television the "iView". The world doesn't have to stop just because Apple might one day make something that begins with the letter "i".

Status
Not open for further replies.