I'd like to play my XBox1 on my HP laptop.

alpha0328

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
So I have an XBox1 that I am trying to set up a Twitch stream with on a regular basis, however my apartment has only 1 TV and I have 5 roommates who all share it. I do have an HP Laptop that has an HDMI port on it and can wire it to my laptop, however I am unsure of how to set up my computer to display what my XBox1 is doing. I've attempted creating a Homegroup, but the homegroup is unable to find my XBox1 on the network. I've looked through Display Settings also to no avail, and I've searched all similar threads on this site but the majority of them were never fully resolved. HP support is useless as they will not give me any information because my laptop is out of warranty, and I'd have to pay out the nose for them to simply tell me that they don't know, at which point I'd be better off buying myself a new TV instead. Does anybody have more information on this issue that could help me out?

Solution
The HDMI port on 99% of laptops is "Out" only - ie for an external display. Not "in" like a TV or monitor.
Therefore, they're not capable of accepting an "in" signal, for display on the laptop screen.

Windows 10 has the ability to play most XB1 titles, but I believe streaming is only one way - PC to XB1 and not vice versa.

Considering a relatively decent TV doesn't have to break the bank - a dedicated TV or cheap monitor can be found on the used market, and would be a better solution.
The HDMI port on 99% of laptops is "Out" only - ie for an external display. Not "in" like a TV or monitor.
Therefore, they're not capable of accepting an "in" signal, for display on the laptop screen.

Windows 10 has the ability to play most XB1 titles, but I believe streaming is only one way - PC to XB1 and not vice versa.

Considering a relatively decent TV doesn't have to break the bank - a dedicated TV or cheap monitor can be found on the used market, and would be a better solution.

Solution