id Software Purchased by ZeniMax Media Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Zenimax used to be an independant company as well. So its not too bad. They seem to be trying to position themselves as a closed company publisher.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Ah id brings back memories, playing Doom I on a 386 machine and Doom II on my Pentium I at 60 Mhz. Always loved id games and bought all of them, Doom 3 scarring the crap out me late at night.
Two of the best in one company and if John Carmack says it is a good thing, I believe him. id has long been a PC game supporter and Open GL to include Linux. Oblivion and Fallout 3, while it does contain DRM, it is not draconian. Actually if you buy the retail expansion pack for Fallout 3 you do not need a disk in your drive anymore to play. I have to admit Fallout 3 is my favourite game of all time.
id and Bethesda are gamer friendly unlike the hacks at EA or Ubisoft (Farcry 2) with their draconian type DRM limited install and online activation, I do not buy their crap because of it! Then there is Bioware who has done a 180 since being Microsoft's bitch with Mass Effect and I am looking forward to Dragon Age, disk check only.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Yes I know Bioware is part of EA and EA is learning (Bioshock and Spore fiasco) not to treat legitimate gamers like criminals.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
It saddens me to see all these independent developers being bought out one by one. A developer that is independent works as hard as it possibly can to make a game that can compete because they can't afford to do otherwise. While the opposite side of the fence will rush games and even release them incomplete.

I am left worrying that the quality of id games will fall.

vorless

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]It saddens me to see all these independent developers being bought out one by one. A developer that is independent works as hard as it possibly can to make a game that can compete because they can't afford to do otherwise. While the opposite side of the fence will rush games and even release them incomplete. I am left worrying that the quality of id games will fall.[/citation]

Have you played any games from Zenimax? They are all good games. If anything this will help id.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]It saddens me to see all these independent developers being bought out one by one. A developer that is independent works as hard as it possibly can to make a game that can compete because they can't afford to do otherwise. While the opposite side of the fence will rush games and even release them incomplete. I am left worrying that the quality of id games will fall.[/citation]

Well Zenimax does release good, polished games, so I really wouldn't worry too much. They're almost like Blizzard, EA on the otherhand is a boatload of crap.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]zerapio[/nom]For some reason this saddens me. I looked at id as a stron and independent developer.[/citation]
They were independant and strong - BUT now they're part of a concern that knows how to tailor software for the current demand instead of just remaking the past - so one can now hope that the next doom will be worth buying, and that graphics will be accompanied by gameplay like the old dos doom days.

ViPr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
i don't think i like this news. Id's games are about testing the player's skill while Bethesda's games are about testing the player character's skill. there's a big difference in case you don't know.

liquidblue

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
As long as this doesn't affect Quakecon I could care less. Hopefully they can knock out the next few titles faster than anticipated.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]ViPr[/nom]i don't think i like this news. Id's games are about testing the player's skill while Bethesda's games are about testing the player character's skill. there's a big difference in case you don't know.[/citation]
Are you implying that it takes skill to play doom but not to play fallout? If so, don't you think you've got it the wrong way around? fps games are about reaction times, and rpg is about using your head mainly - but both are skills in one form or another. And if you ask me, thinking is harder to learn than reactions - any animal can train reactions.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Well at least it's ZeniMax. If this was EA or Activision my response would be:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.......

Status
Not open for further replies.