Ideapad 100 i3-5005u or Lenovo Z50 AMD FX-7500 or Ideapad 305 i3-5005u

Onlinepoet2000

Estimable
Apr 1, 2014
Solution
The Radeon R7 (Kaveri) graphics core in the FX-7500 is a bit more powerful than the Intel HD 520 graphics core in the current Skylake generation Intel Core i3 CPUs. It ranks slightly better than a nVidia 920m and the Intel HD 530 graphics core in overall performance. It is still weak compared to dedicated GPUs.

The FX-7500 itself performs similar to the Core i3 CPU in overall performance. Based on the specs, it's max power consumption is 19w compared to 15w for the Skylake generation Intel Core i3 CPU so it's not too bad. But from a percentage point of view the FX-7500 uses 27% more power under load.

The following is a link to a comparison of the Radeon R7 (Kaveri) and Intel HD 520 performance from Notebookcheck.net. Note, the...

Hlsgsz

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016

Poor performance and higher power consumption. I don't recommend AMD on desktops these days, let alone laptops.

The Radeon R7 (Kaveri) graphics core in the FX-7500 is a bit more powerful than the Intel HD 520 graphics core in the current Skylake generation Intel Core i3 CPUs. It ranks slightly better than a nVidia 920m and the Intel HD 530 graphics core in overall performance. It is still weak compared to dedicated GPUs.

The FX-7500 itself performs similar to the Core i3 CPU in overall performance. Based on the specs, it's max power consumption is 19w compared to 15w for the Skylake generation Intel Core i3 CPU so it's not too bad. But from a percentage point of view the FX-7500 uses 27% more power under load.

The following is a link to a comparison of the Radeon R7 (Kaveri) and Intel HD 520 performance from Notebookcheck.net. Note, the average benchmarks for the Intel HD 520 are based on Core i5 and Core i7 CPUs so results for Core i3 CPUs can be less.

http://tinyurl.com/jol3m3n

Solution

Onlinepoet2000

Estimable
Apr 1, 2014

Thanks very much for this detailed explanation! Much appreciated!

After much deliberation I have decided that I'll get either one of these two:
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3137037/lenovo-z50-amd-a10-lenovo-ideapad-500-amd-a10.html

Could I have your opinion on them please? Thanks.

nolimits76

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Years ago I was all over AMD's. Not so much now. I'd stick with an Intel based laptop. My opinion is biased though as if I were buying a PC, I might consider doing a "Hackintosh" which means using standard PC and hacking Mac OS X to work on it.

Currently I run a 13.3" Apple MacBook Pro. Love it, with exception to it's about 5.5 years old and I need a replacement. Been thinking of something that is compatible with Linux as I want to dabble in that.

I mention my MBP because it's an i5 based processor, and has really held up well over the years. I have no doubts I could probably run another 5+ years if I wanted to. Yes, the initial price was expensive (about $1100USD) but I've had some of the cheaper PC units and they are lucky to last 3 years. Sometimes you do get what you pay for, remember that. The i3 chips are outdated. Please consider an i5 or better if your budget allows.

Another thing to consider, I could probably sell my MBP for $500 or so as-is making my total cost to own even more bearable. Again, I know not everyone will be able to spend as much upfront, but if you can then longevity should be considered (even if you choose something different than a MBP).