Review IDrive Personal cloud backup review

Aug 3, 2021
Stay away!
I paid $7 for 5TB of backup and they charged me for more than $1,000 for what they claim to be overuse without any warning!
After several session with iDrive support team they've finally admitted that there's a bug in their system that miscalculates the amount of data that's being backed up.
Their billing team promised to refund me for the charge but I didn't get any refund and they're not responding to my Emails.
Worst service I've ever experience!
There are much better online backup services with much better support.

Aug 14, 2021
My experience with these guys has been pretty awful.

I paid for this service six weeks ago. Since then it's managed to upload approx 6000 of my 90,000+ files. I've spent numerous hours reading their FAQ, watching videos, tweaking my computer parameters, etc and it's been massively frustrating and mostly a waste of time.

They offer iDrive Express service, where you load your data onto a hard drive, but the postage charge for this- if you're in Europe, as I am - is $40+ ONE WAY, so we're looking at 80 bucks postage alone, and, based on the rubbish service I've received so far, it didn't seem wise to throw more money away.

I've also chatted with customer service many times and at the end they'll assure me, "No, everything's fine now, it'll all sync no problem". I go to bed and when I check the next morning nothing's changed. When the sync eventually started working, it operates at speeds so slow that it'll take about 6 more weeks, operating 4/7, for less than 400gb to upload. What a joke.

IDriveBackup

Official Representative
Aug 30, 2021
Stay away!
I paid $7 for 5TB of backup and they charged me for more than $1,000 for what they claim to be overuse without any warning!
After several session with iDrive support team they've finally admitted that there's a bug in their system that miscalculates the amount of data that's being backed up.
Their billing team promised to refund me for the charge but I didn't get any refund and they're not responding to my Emails.
Worst service I've ever experience!
There are much better online backup services with much better support.

Hi, We are happy to look into your account and see what might be happening, can you email us? publicrelations@idrive.com

IDriveBackup

Official Representative
Aug 30, 2021
My experience with these guys has been pretty awful.

I paid for this service six weeks ago. Since then it's managed to upload approx 6000 of my 90,000+ files. I've spent numerous hours reading their FAQ, watching videos, tweaking my computer parameters, etc and it's been massively frustrating and mostly a waste of time.

They offer iDrive Express service, where you load your data onto a hard drive, but the postage charge for this- if you're in Europe, as I am - is $40+ ONE WAY, so we're looking at 80 bucks postage alone, and, based on the rubbish service I've received so far, it didn't seem wise to throw more money away.

I've also chatted with customer service many times and at the end they'll assure me, "No, everything's fine now, it'll all sync no problem". I go to bed and when I check the next morning nothing's changed. When the sync eventually started working, it operates at speeds so slow that it'll take about 6 more weeks, operating 4/7, for less than 400gb to upload. What a joke.

Hi, We can look into your account, can you email us? publicrelations@idrive.com

isdpcman

Estimable
Feb 26, 2017
Backups work fine. You just can't RESTORE them. Details, huh???

The backup system is worthless as is their support. We used iDrive to backup a secondary server we have for a lab network. The system failed and we had to resore. This requires downloading the files from their cloud storage to a USB drive, then creating a USB boot flash drive and running the restore. We did this and we got a "Disk read error" when the system was restored and rebooted. After several attempts to restore we called support. We followed instructions to boot with the server CD and run Command Line utilities to fix the boot. That failed. We went back and forth with a support agent who promised someone would call back "within 24 hours". It has been a WEEK and a day and WE have been the ones calling. NOBODY from iDrive has called. We NEVER speak to a level 2 tech, just the level 1 tech who really does not know anything. So far we're STILL without a server running (Windows Server 2012 R2). Note, we have tried 2 different drives. We can install Win Svr 2012 R2 directly on the drives but then no active directory or other files can be restored while Windows Server is running so this HAS to be a Bare Metal Restore (BMR) which they state is their forte'. Their greatest strength is marketing and avoiding support issues.

What is your recourse if you rely on this system to backup valuable data (like a server!) and you cannot get it restored? You just S-O-L. Don't waste your time and money on the "symbolics" of having a backup when you cannot restore your data!

If you can afford to be down for an undetermined amount of time, this could be your backup solution. Otherwise, look elsewhere. Avoid iDrive Backup COMPLETELY.

IDriveBackup

Official Representative
Aug 30, 2021
Backups work fine. You just can't RESTORE them. Details, huh???

The backup system is worthless as is their support. We used iDrive to backup a secondary server we have for a lab network. The system failed and we had to resore. This requires downloading the files from their cloud storage to a USB drive, then creating a USB boot flash drive and running the restore. We did this and we got a "Disk read error" when the system was restored and rebooted. After several attempts to restore we called support. We followed instructions to boot with the server CD and run Command Line utilities to fix the boot. That failed. We went back and forth with a support agent who promised someone would call back "within 24 hours". It has been a WEEK and a day and WE have been the ones calling. NOBODY from iDrive has called. We NEVER speak to a level 2 tech, just the level 1 tech who really does not know anything. So far we're STILL without a server running (Windows Server 2012 R2). Note, we have tried 2 different drives. We can install Win Svr 2012 R2 directly on the drives but then no active directory or other files can be restored while Windows Server is running so this HAS to be a Bare Metal Restore (BMR) which they state is their forte'. Their greatest strength is marketing and avoiding support issues.

What is your recourse if you rely on this system to backup valuable data (like a server!) and you cannot get it restored? You just S-O-L. Don't waste your time and money on the "symbolics" of having a backup when you cannot restore your data!

If you can afford to be down for an undetermined amount of time, this could be your backup solution. Otherwise, look elsewhere. Avoid iDrive Backup COMPLETELY.

Hi, We are happy to look into your account, can you email us? publicrelations@idrive.com

Jan 1, 2022
I just cancelled my 1TB IDrive account after horror of an experience. IDrive basically lost about 500GB of my data. Since IDrive’s sole purpose was to store my data and to keep it safe, and IDrive didn’t fulfill its part of the deal, I asked the company to reimburse me all the money that I paid IDrive since I signed up with the company (4-5 years or so). The company refused. Here is what happened:

In June-July most of my data just disappeared. At the time it was divided between two folders: a smaller one with about 5GB and the larger one with the rest. That larger one was no longer there. I called IDrive thinking that it wasn’t such a big deal and ask the company to restore it from their backup. Initially I got a hell of the push back. The rep called and said that it was impossible because with the way their site programmed it wouldn’t allow for such errors! Imagine that?! I used to work as a computer programmer so of course I knew better. In any case I didn’t want to bicker and just ask IDrive to restore my data from the day or couple of days before it disappeared. The idea that a data storage company of IDrive’s notoriety wouldn’t keep at least a week-long data backup of its customers somehow didn’t feel plausible. But I still got a hell of push back. They definitely didn’t want to be bothered and insisted that that’s how much data I had there all along! I called and called again and eventually did force IDrive to go to their backup.

A few days later my lost folder with about 500GB of data was ‘restored’, if that’s what you want to call it. Because when I went to check it however most of the folders were restored only partially. For example, there would be a music album with 12 numerated songs in it which now had only 4: #s3, 6, 8 & 9, like in one of the pictures that I’m attaching. Many folders would have only half or a quarter of the files from what was there originally. My super valuable Photo folder with many photos scanned from my mother’s old albums was scantly filled. Thank God I kept another copy of that folder at home on some external hard drive! When I informed IDrive of what happened they said that that was all that their advance team must’ve had because that’s all that I had there. At that point I no longer felt like fighting them since 95% of the Word/PDF/etc files that I had there were also on my computer’s hard drive, and I also keep the music that I tend to listen to on my phone.

So IDrive partially restored my data and now instead of 500GB I had only about half of it if that.

I decided to save what I had and just close the account. But that turned out to be easier said than done because now the backup function wouldn’t work properly and only do a backup to a certain point, like 40% and then stop and start looping over the same files. The IDrive said that it was something on my end, something to do with incompatibility of their system with mine. I just got myself a brand-new MacBook with the newest available OS installed on it so I said if IDrive can’t handle that type of thing then it shouldn’t be in the business of data storage and backup.

I don’t remember how long we tried to resolve this problem for - months I think. At the end it didn’t get resolved and I just decided to cut my loses and asked them to send me a hard drive with my remaining data. IDrive wiggled and waffled but eventually did end up mailing me the hard drive with my remaining data. To IDrive’s credit it didn’t charge me for it. Thank God for that at least.

When I finally got the IDrive’s hard drive, it contained less than 100GBs of data (photos attached). I went to my IDrive account and guess what? It also now contained less than 100GBs of data lol. I guess the remainder of my remaining data again got lost in the transfer! The question is what kind of shop is IDrive running there?! No too long ago I saw IDrive’s commercial on national TV! IDrive has money to run that! How about allocating some funds for providing the service that IDrive purports to provide? Lmao
I took all the screenshots I need to back up what I’m saying here. Something needs to be done to prevent this company from claiming that it safeguards people’s data! It doesn’t. If what happened to me indicative of how IDrive safeguards everybody’s data, I probably would up doing a much better job by just keeping their clients’ data in my basement! Help yourself and stay away from IDrive if you don’t want to be placing your data in peril.