IDrive vs Backblaze: Which cloud storage is right for you?

Dec 25, 2021
Don't mean to criticize harshly, but your review of the backup services is considerably light on THE most important aspect of any data backup management: validation and verification. I don't think we need to emphasize how important it is to be able to trust that our data is being backed up properly. Yes, performance of backup and restore is important. Yes, pricing is important. Yes, customer service is important. However, what good is all this if you can't verify that your local data has indeed been mirrored?

I've used Carbonite, iDrive, Acronis, and Backblaze. None of these has anything close to respectable tools to manage your backups. There is nothing that can be used to match file counts, dataset sizes, folder (directory) counts, etc., and there is nothing that can be used to investigate discrepancies. All these services take it upon themselves to exclude files on the basis of what the vendors believe are "extraneous" uses, yet none of them have tools that users can run to compare Source and Target datasets.

To me, without verification of file transfers as well as validation of dataset integrity, these online services aren't worth a dime. With my NAS, I can run any utilities I want and can verify to the byte each and every backup job. We should be able to expect the same from these paid services.