If Starfield isn’t a hit, I think it could be game over for Xbox Series X

May 6, 2023
The PC version of Starfield also has a lot of weight on its shoulders, even independent of the XBox discussion. This recent stream of technically horrid AAA ports, coupled with complete concept disappointments like Redfall and Gotham Knights, has the PC community reeling. We knew there were going to be some teething problems with the new consoles matching or exceeding mid-range PC performance for the first time in a while, but this has gotten out of hand. Starfield is XBox's last hope for 2023, no doubt, but a bad PC experience could lead to an exodus of mainstream PC users to the console. Why upgrade from, say a 1650ti, to a 3060 if the game still stutters and glitches on the new card? The fact that all of this rides on a massive Bethesda RPG, which are traditionally far from being technical marvels or fully-functional games at launch, is cause for concern.

Reactions: Mac Daddy
May 7, 2023
I’m sorry. This is a garbage take reaching for article views from people who attach allegence to a brand like it’s some kind of sports team. XBX is dead if Starfield isn’t successful? Is this place gamespot now? I have and enjoy both consoles, neither is going anywhere.

Both consoles are fine and have sold more than enough to have a solid user base. It’s a console war only if you are depending on your parents to buy one or the other for you and you need to convince your friends to get one over the other.

Both Microsoft and Sony have plenty of fire power to course correct and have good content on their consoles, and the GamePass platform is still very attractive to many.

Reactions: Plaslaiko
Apr 23, 2023
This is not a garbage take. As someone who's owned each gen of Xbox, and as someone who has a gaming PC and a Series X currently, the fact I bought the Series X solely to keep my physical disc collection feels like a boneheaded move when
A) they have few major titles and can go a full year without any major release, but also they'll charge you more for them
B) they have less third party exclusives and it's just getting worse
C) they have a leader admitting defeat in competition
D) they've positioned themselves to be the next Stadia. Play anywhere with cloud gaming and a subscription, and a controller. And boy, they just love their controllers

Game Pass looks great. Series X? Not so much...

May 7, 2023
The physical disk collection part sounds like a personal problem. For you it’s an issue, but the next release (that for many will be irrelevant) determining if the console is “dead”? Silly.

Microsoft was right to want to kill physical media in the last iteration. They were just ahead of their time and players who like to keep libraries of physical discs like pack rats got their feelings hurt.

It’s a garbage internet hot take for clicks to bait kids who care a lot about these things.

Apr 23, 2023
The physical disk collection part sounds like a personal problem. For you it’s an issue, but the next release (that for many will be irrelevant) determining if the console is “dead”? Silly.

Microsoft was right to want to kill physical media in the last iteration. They were just ahead of their time and players who like to keep libraries of physical discs like pack rats got their feelings hurt.

It’s a garbage internet hot take for clicks to bait kids who care a lot about these things.
Yep, personal disc collection is my personal problem. What's not my personal problem is the lack of exclusives to entice more people to buy their new consoles.
The next release won't determine Xbox "dead", but the faith behind their exclusives, the reason people would buy a console, could easily falter. Even Xbox doesn't need physical consoles anymore. They're a service and that's their focus. They've made that clear.

Jun 18, 2023

💯 ----- especially after the Xbox showcase from last week. I'm more than pleased that I have a Series X *and* Game Pass Ultimate (as well as a PS5) to experience the plethora of games shown that I cannot wait to play! And, considering that of all of the games they put a spotlight on last week, there was only ONE I was excited about that won't be a Game Pass Day 1 release. That was Star Wars: Outlaws. This means that out of ALL of these massive games coming out in the next 20 months or so, I'll have to shell out extra cash for only one of them. That alone is a major point for Xbox.

Plus, now that Xbox One games are being sidelined, the Series X is finally going to have its day, even if Starfield doesn't live up to the extremely high expectations that the community is putting on it. There's still *plenty* of people who aren't interested in building themselves a gaming PC, and the Series X will be around (and competitive) with more than enough players to support and sustain itself.

Also, Redfall seems to have its bugs worked out. I just played it a bit the other day and didn't have any real issues with it's performance. People should be more forgiving. Look at Cyberpunk! I mean, has there ever been a more dismal release on day 1 in the entire history of gaming? Not that I am aware of. LBut, look how many people are excited about the forthcoming expansion. I was honestly shocked at the reception it has gotten. I know I personally couldn't care less because I wasn't a fan of that game to begin with. I even gave it another shot last week to see if I too should be as excited about the expansion as everyone else seems to be. But, alas, I just don't care for it. But, it definitely played MUCH better than when I tried it on my PC and Xbox One. CD Project Red did what it was supposed to: fix the game as quickly as it could and won back the trust of it's customers, and it seemingly spread to the rest of the community as well, obviously. Or else this expansion would be dead in arrival.

My point is that with games getting bigger and needing more power to have them achieve peak performance, people need to cut the studios a little slack. But, I suppose that's an entirely different conversation.

But, I stand by it, Series X (and Series S) ain't going nowhere.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023
Yeah, for sure! I kept in mind that this discussion took place before the showcase, so I'm happy to hear it might have swayed you back a bit in a positive way.

Also, I do agree that if Starfield doesn't hit the mark, it won't be a good look at all. But certainly not a console killer. I won't be sold in that thinking unless it actually happens, and I'll admit I was wrong! But, I really don't think it'll come to that.

At any rate, I'm really pumped to play it and sincerely hope it reaches the bar, and I have even higher hopes that it'll clear it! But, that bar is realllllllly high....

Apr 23, 2023
Yeah, for sure! I kept in mind that this discussion took place before the showcase, so I'm happy to hear it might have swayed you back a bit in a positive way.

Also, I do agree that if Starfield doesn't hit the mark, it won't be a good look at all. But certainly not a console killer. I won't be sold in that thinking unless it actually happens, and I'll admit I was wrong! But, I really don't think it'll come to that.

At any rate, I'm really pumped to play it and sincerely hope it reaches the bar, and I have even higher hopes
Yea, same. Starfield actually looks really good. I don't care as much about 30fps on that game, it makes sense to me that they'd choose to do that.
It looks better than I expected.

TRENDING THREADS