I'm a AMD consumer, but i need a gaming laptop

Crimsonwind85

Estimable
Dec 31, 2015
I'm an AMD fan, but i want an AMD gaming laptop that is medium-high grade within the $1.5k-$3K range. I've been looking online and all I can find is stuff for Intel.
I REALLY hate Intels politics, and want to support a company that has stayed truly neutral for the most part in regards to socio-economical practices.

Can anyone tell me some good companies and/or links to where I can find a gaming laptop that has an AMD chipset ?

I really liked the ASUS ROG gaming series from what I've used and I really want something along those lines of power, including and not limited to MSI Titan capabillities of dual grapics.

Solution
The most powerful AMD APU that are used in laptops is the quad core FX-8800p. It's raw performance is about comparable to a dual core Intel i5-4210m CPU / i7-5500u CPU, or a little better.

There aren't many laptops with the FX-8800p APU. The only two that I know of are the HP Envy 15Z and the Asus 555DG-EHFX. Both are fairly inexpensive in the $600 - $650 price range.

The HP Envy 15Z relies on the integrated Radeon R7 graphics core and there is no option at HP website to add a dedciated GPU. On top of the according to the following link, HP severely restricts the performance of the FX-8800p APU. It's a 15w to 35w TDP APU, but HP limits it to 15w TDP which means a low clockspeed...

Sam_42

Estimable
Nov 16, 2015

But that isn't true I have looked at a few amd laptops that don't run any hotter than their nvidia rivals. The only problem is battery life. I really hope amd come back this year.

That's because you are looking at slower and cooler chips vs the Intel parts. It's not an even comparison. There are no gaming spec AMD CPUs right now. The A10 is the closest I think.

The most powerful AMD APU that are used in laptops is the quad core FX-8800p. It's raw performance is about comparable to a dual core Intel i5-4210m CPU / i7-5500u CPU, or a little better.

There aren't many laptops with the FX-8800p APU. The only two that I know of are the HP Envy 15Z and the Asus 555DG-EHFX. Both are fairly inexpensive in the $600 - $650 price range.

The HP Envy 15Z relies on the integrated Radeon R7 graphics core and there is no option at HP website to add a dedciated GPU. On top of the according to the following link, HP severely restricts the performance of the FX-8800p APU. It's a 15w to 35w TDP APU, but HP limits it to 15w TDP which means a low clockspeed.

http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/hp-limits-the-carrizo-fx-8800p-in-the-new-envy-15z-laptop/

The Asus A555DG-EFHX seems to be better since I am not aware of the FX-8800p being limited to 15w TDP performance. It has a Radeon R8 M350X GPU which is probably the combination of the integrated R7 GPU and a dedicated Radeon R5 M330 graphics chip. The Radeon R5 M330 is a little faster than the Geforce 820m and Intel HD 520 graphics core. Combined with the integrated R7 graphics core it "forms" the Radeon R8 M350X GPU. The R8 M350X is very likely less powerful than the nVidia 940m.

Solution