I'm buying a hybrid instead of an EV for my next car — here's why

Mar 13, 2022
Putting another $60-70k non EV into service when there are EV alternatives with 300 mile range is irresponsible. Modest changes in driving habits are OK! You can charge at home overnight obviously, so your only hesitation comes down to long trips? I'm betting those are rare and can be handled with renting a car instead of putting miles on your own...

Mar 13, 2022
Putting another $60-70k non EV into service when there are EV alternatives with 300 mile range is irresponsible. Modest changes in driving habits are OK! You can charge at home overnight obviously, so your only hesitation comes down to long trips? I'm betting those are rare and can be handled with renting a car instead of putting miles on your own...
What is irresponsible is taking your own ideals and then insisting that they be thrust on everyone without taking into account their circumstances.

Plug in hybrids are truly the best short term answer to the world environmental problem. It's sad there is such a push to all EV when there is no long term solution for the imminent battery problem. If you are a commuter, a plug in hybrid allows most to run all electric, with a fossil fuel backup. Much smaller batteries for less stripping of lithium and better overall efficiency for the normal fuel burners. And then with such a push on overall efficiency with newer tech, it gives time to figure out better battery technology so we don't have another crisis in a few years from all these short term environmentalists and their simple, yet flawed ideas...

Mar 15, 2022
What is irresponsible is taking your own ideals and then insisting that they be thrust on everyone without taking into account their circumstances.

Plug in hybrids are truly the best short term answer to the world environmental problem. It's sad there is such a push to all EV when there is no long term solution for the imminent battery problem. If you are a commuter, a plug in hybrid allows most to run all electric, with a fossil fuel backup. Much smaller batteries for less stripping of lithium and better overall efficiency for the normal fuel burners. And then with such a push on overall efficiency with newer tech, it gives time to figure out better battery technology so we don't have another crisis in a few years from all these short term environmentalists and their simple, yet flawed ideas...
You're stating a lot of opinions that you're claiming to be facts. Having two types of motors a gas tank and a battery on one vehicle is doubling up on components, so I can't see how this can be the best environmental solution. Maintenance and repairs will also be needed on all these components, which is taking away from one of the best benefits of an EV, which is no oil changes, fluid flushes , radiator issues and all the other items required to maintain a gas engine. The biggest issue I have with the story is the number of items that are listed as potential savings, but the cost of the vehicle is not mentioned, which is in many cases as much or more than an equivalent EV. Plug-in hybrids would make a lot more sense if their costs were more reasonable, but as they stand now, they are a stop-gap until EVs are fully adopted. Much is said about the lack of charging infrastructure, but for the vast majority, you rarely charge anywhere but home. Gas car manufacturers want everyone to buy hybrids as they are based on their legacy models with a battery added. They need to keep selling cars until they can switch over to selling EVs. Ultimately, it is consumer choice, but I think if you aren't ready for a full EV, i think it's best to stick with an efficient gas vehicle until it makes sense to switch. When working out the numbers, be sure to factor in the total cost of ownership over the term that you typically keep your vehicles. You may be surprised at how much you are paying now.

Mar 17, 2022
There is absolutely a place for Plug-in hybrid vehicles as well as all-electric and all-gas vehicles. My wife and I each have had all-electric cars between 1996 (we were original GM EV1 drivers) and until 2014 while we were commuting to work, and then downsized to a shared EV until 2019. After we retired, a shared hybrid EV made more sense. We chose and are still driving a GM Volt (that's the hybrid, not the all electric Bolt).

Today I had to drive slightly beyond its all-electric range and put 60 electric miles on it and 6 gas miles on it. Despite high gas prices in California, I might have to bite the bullet and fill up as I'm a bit below a half-tank. Last time I got gas for this car was sometime in 2021. Unfortunately GM discontinued the Volt in 2019. I'm guessing not enough drivers figured out the benefit of a plug-in hybrid for GM to keep producing this excellent car.

Other benefits of this hybrid:
- The battery can be managed "gently" by smart software. It never has to be discharged so low that its life is shortened. Battery management (switching between battery and gas) is all automatically done.
- This car charges at a 3.3 kw rate, which is half of the rating of our 220 V charger. This decreases heat generated and is gentler on the batteries, yet the car is always fully charged overnight after charging at reduced electric rates. For an average of 10,000 miles per year on this car, the typical monthly electric bill is $30.
- In hilly terrain, the battery is able to be partially recharged on downhills and add assist to the gas engine when accelerating, making for surprisingly good gas mileage.
- We've never needed to (or cared to) charge at a public charger. These can be congested, and are generally the most expensive way to charge an EV.