I'm buying a laptop and I need suggestions

Droidriven

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
I'm looking at buying a laptop. I'm looking for a base system with low end hardware other than processor(upgradable if possible).

I'm looking for a quad core(hyperthreading if possible) that is 2.5GHz(if powerful enough) to 3.5GHz(if cheap enough), I would settle for a dual core if its powerful enough.

It can be low in amount of RAM as long as it has 8GB support but would prefer 16GB support then upgrade RAM later.

Low end on storage then upgrade to SSD later. I would even go for an m.2 supported device(not factory installed, just supported) then add an m.2 later.

Graphics and sound don't matter because it won't be gaming or viewing/editing video.

Needs 2.0 and 3.0 USB ports(one of each to save a few bucks on the base system and use hubs to expand)

Would prefer WiFi and Bluetooth support but can do without to save a few bucks and use dongles because they are cheap enough.

Needs CD drive but can do without to save a few bucks and use an external CD drive.

A decent base that I can expand on or even a "custom" system that I can get a cheap barebones system then buy the other components a piece at a time as long as the barebones system is reasonably priced, it doesn't have to be the most up to date base system, it can be somewhat older as long as it is decently upgradable.

Its purpose will be solely for a mobile unit to take with me that I can use to take some of the load of the various processes, software development and compiling/decompiling that I use on android devices so I'm not tied to my home system.

Thanks for any suitable but affordable suggestions that I can expand and upgrade to suit my purposes as I go.

Droidriven

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
That is correct, I'm not concerned about how much the total cost is by the time its put together. The initial cost of the barebones before all the extras are added is a concern though. I just wanted a base that I could buy individually then buy the other parts as I can vs picking a base barebones and its components and have to pay all up front, I can't afford to buy a $1500-2000 laptop all at once and I'm not wanting to get it in credit because I refuse to pay more for something than what it actually costs, being able to get it all now then pay 2-3 times its actual cost by the time its paid for is not an appealing concept to me, $200-400 at a time on components is acceptable though, even if it ends up being $4000(unrealistic amount) total at the end.

Sites like what you named do not fit the way I'm trying to go about this, it DOES get me the kind of system I'm looking for but it requires picking everything all at once in one complete purchase, this is not an option for me. I'm looking for options that allow me to buy the barebones to start with and not the other components then buy each component and me actually physically put it all together myself as I get each component.

That will be very difficult as laptop parts are specifically made for a specific laptop. Only things like hdds and ram will work with any laptop. Things like cpu and gpu will be very difficult as each motherboard will be slightly different. But if you can find something that suits your needs then brilliant.