I'm in the market for a new laptop. Any suggestions?

the8biteffect

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
Hello,

I am looking for a new laptop to replace my mid 2010 MacBook Pro. Naturally I was going to upgrade to the 2016 MacBook Pro however with the lack luster specs, batter issues, and GPU switching issues I am going to pass on that. I use both Windows and MacOS so I have no problem switching between the two.

I was interested in the Dell XPS 15 which has good internals (especially the leaked 2017 model) however I am not thrilled with Dell's build quality as I have used the XPS 15 at work and the physical build is awful. I dislike the placement of the speakers, the carbon fiber is nothing more than a fingerprint magnet (yes I am bit OCD when it comes to that), and finally I don't know anyone who had a Dell that lasted more than 3 years. My current MacBook is going on 6 years without a single issue, but the internals are starting to show their age.

So that is the problem I am facing: great internals, but a horrible physical build quality or great physical build quality, but lack luster internals. So my question do you know of any laptops that have good internal hardware as well as great build quality (preferably a full-aluminum build).

Due to the line of work I am in I will need a 15 inch laptop, quad-core CPU, a dedicated GPU, 16-32 GB Ram, a high capacity SSD, and a screen that properly calibrated for color accuracy, and minimal OEM bloatware. Thanks.

RealBeast

Distinguished
If you want a Dell that stands up to a road warrior, get a precision mobile workstation. I have one that is over 8 years old and has taken a beating without issues. I have a couple of newer models that are also quite solid and great laptops, but they cost a fair amount more than the consumer junk.

I always do a clean install to get rid of everything that I don't want so bloatware is not an issue.

the8biteffect

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016

I appreciate the suggestion, but I did look into the Dell precision line and the 15inch model 5000 series appears to have the same design as the XPS 15 with that awful soft touch carbon fiber and poor speakers and speaker placement.

It doesn't have to be a Dell. I'm just inquiring if there are brands that I'm overlooking.