Im torn between two headset's

Solution
The ATH-M40x is defiantly better by a long shot. The ATH-PG1 is just a mid tier gaming headset, the overall sound quality was less inspiring than many I tested.

Chrisovitch

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
Thank you Viddyvane & Delaro.
I wouldnt want to sway the tread, by telling witch one i was leaning towards, but that was the M40x.
I found many good review on the m40x, and nearly none on the pg1.

The reason im wondering about the pg1 is:
There are both audio technica and the pg1 is newer and priced 100% higher witch doesnt automaticly means better, but it should.
The reviews i did find about the pg1, had excellent mic sound quality.

My goal is to use the headset for mainly for gaming/movies on PC, but also partly gaming/movies on PS4.
And occasionally use with 1+ 3 phone.

Chris.

Chrisovitch

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017

My time using the mic is 1 out of 10. So i guess thats answers that.

I guess its somewhat settled then.

Good evening Viddyvane ^^

i'm not sure what the ath-pg1 is based on but knowing AT i would think it is based on one of their headphone lineups. which one i could not tell you.

i know the ath-adg1 / ag1 is based on the ad500x/a500x.

the m40x (and m30x, m50x) really arent known for soundstage (in fact the m50/m50x has a horribly small soundstage even for closed cans and i'm thinking the m30 and m40 follow suite). the lineup however does have good sound quality for the money spent so if soundstage isnt an issue for you then you may enjoy them (i do like my m50).

the sennheiser game one (based on hd518/558, or just buying a hd518/hd558 and using a modmic if cheaper) is a good choice as well. a neutral sound signature with fair soundstage.

Chrisovitch

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
Thank you ssddx,

I also wasnt able to find out that much about the ath.pg1 myself.
But with the 100% higher price tag on the aht-pg1 i natualy thought they would be better, when from the same firm.
I guess i need to dig alittle futher ;)

delaro

Distinguished
One thing to take note on before buying.. a rough definition of what you buying.

Studio is accurate sound signature, usually as flat as possible with no added highs, or bass, or effects

DJ is more tuned for music, with better bass, and usually made to sound similar to what comes out of speakers when DJing and with high Noise Isolation.

Gaming is lower sound quality, with a mic, and most of the money is spend on marketing or on aesthetics

My preference is a Studio set free EQ software package.

Equalizer APO
https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

Some of these Headphones also just don't seem loud enough with the wattage coming from the PC or Phone. To fix this issue tube amps fills the gap, they add a warmth to the sound along with amplifying but they do tend to get pricey, my unit was $75.

This is something you should think about, do you want accurate precise sound with no added frills that can be tailored or a big sound stage that is less accurate?

Here is what your getting with the M40X and in my opinion they are well worth it.
http://www.soundguys.com/audio-technica-ath-m40x-review-1494/

Chrisovitch

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
#delaro

I appreciate the insight, i was wondering about this tbh.
So i gonna need some kind of EQ, thanks for the link, will see if i can make sens of it...

Looking forward to replace my old gaming headset.

studio does not always mean flat or neutral.

the m50x is marketed as a studio can however is heavily v-shaped.

i would honestly not go by what they are marketed as and go instead by the sound signature or response curve.

gaming headsets however (outside of known models based on headphones) are generally crud with focus on multiple drivers per ear, virtual surround sound or styling though. not that non-headphone based models are bad but you need to know what you're buying and what to expect.

delaro

Distinguished
M40/50's Soundstage is small due to it being a closed-back and it also suffers from "shallow earcup syndrome" as do most studio marketed Headphones. They still beat any "gamer" headphone and they are some of the best closed-back units for this price segment. For the M50 I think the Beyerdynamic DT770 250 Ohm is actually better, they have a much more aggressive and robust sound as well as being tuned for much better Bass and everything is replaceable.