IM With Your Boss Makes You Work Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I IM my boss daily, and it makes it feel like she's more part of our team, giving us direction and helping us solve issues.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
One question for those who already use it:

When your boss sees that you are AFK for a long time doesn't he check on your status to see if you are alert/away. Sure it is good for business but is it good for you (mentally)?

mrubermonkey

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]I would feel kinda weird if I were to IM my boss, I own my own business and I am my own boss... :)[/citation]
Nothing wrong in taking to yourself.

GrahamZA

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
IM's do increase work. Take the company I work for, for example. I've used IM since I started in IT and so I always know what I need to do and when new stock is arriving etc. My newest co-worker doesn't believe in IM and thus almost never knows what's going on.
I may not use Skype, but I cannot go without my MSN.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]Humans think[/nom]One question for those who already use it:When your boss sees that you are AFK for a long time doesn't he check on your status to see if you are alert/away. Sure it is good for business but is it good for you (mentally)?[/citation]
Most IM clients have an option to never go 'away'.. We use Yahoo in the office here and we have that option. There is also an option to allow yourself to go away but it will never display how long you were away.

G

Another plus is you can have an away message if you have to leave to go to a meeting, etc. so your boss won't ask around the office to find out where you are.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
It's a whole lot better to have constant communication with your boss, because you will have more negotiating options with your clients. Like prices negotiations, "favors" and the like.

However if your boss is the usually communicating with you, I think that does the opposite. I think. :)

G

I do not agree. In my last work I suffered bullying ... my boss was in the desk next to mine and didn't even talk to me ... all the conversations were done thru email.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.