News iMac 2020 release , redesign, price, specs and latest rumors

Feb 24, 2020
If Apple doesn't create a 21:9 UltraWidescreen iMac then I'm going to build a Hackintosh so that I have more choices in hardware and displays. Love my last two iMac's but I want more hardware choices and the ability to upgrade it easier. I was contemplating a used iMac Pro, but the lack of upgradability (not even memory) is not something I'm into, and the Mac Pro is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE, so that leaves me with a Hackintosh being the best choice. But I'll wait for the March event before committing to that.

Feb 27, 2020
I will buy something this year to replace my aging iMac, and I'm looking at ALL of my options as well. If they go with the curved one piece/integrated keyboard design I'll pass. I'd love a something with a standard VESA mount and the ability to upgrade RAM, storage, and graphics on a new iMac. Why can't they just adapt the Pro XDR display to an all in one design?

Jul 12, 2020
I am really hoping that the all-in-one design is not reality. No ability to adjust screen angles or to have the keyboard farther from the monitor would be a nightmare.

varase

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
I'm all in on the new Intel iMac 5K - I think I'll buy a core-i9 with the best video card.

My current iMac 5K was purchased in late 2018 when my 2014 was going in to the shop - and I was forced to buy a year old 2017 model because the 2018 was tardy - probably due to Intel failing to release their chips on time. Because of this, I got a core-i7 with a Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB VRAM, and they released the Mac I wanted in early 2019 with a core-i9 and better graphics 😠.

By buying the last Intel iMac, I figure I'll be good to go with boot camp and the last best consumer Intel Mac and be set to avoid all the teething pains of Apple silicon.

Hopefully, by the time I'm ready for another Mac 3rd parties will have something like SoftPC - and we can see if there's sufficient performance headroom to run a virtual instance of Windows x86 and play AAA games at native speeds. If not, I can always get an ARM iMac and a cheap Windows gaming machine.

I really want the 10 core 20 thread machine for my long 7-10 hour transcoding sessions, and Windows gaming has become the only game in town - no pun intended - due to the fact that Catalina killed most of my meager game library due to the drop in support for 32 bit games.

Maybe when it comes time to sell my 2020 iMac it'll retain some value due to its last of the line status - and the fact that it will be the most powerful consumer Intel iMac ever released, and the last model with boot camp and the ability to run a native x86 hypervisor.

I am excited by the future of ARM Macs, but I'd rather not suffer through all the problems which will inevitably appear for the early adopters.