iMac Retina 5K Display Hands-on: Jaw-Dropping Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
lol! "Jaw dropping" really? It's a tiny bit more than the 4K standard, which is dirt cheap these days. Here we go with the Apple marketeering for something that is really nothing special.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
lol! "Jaw dropping" really? It's a tiny bit more than the 4K standard, which is dirt cheap these days. Here we go with the Apple marketeering for something that is really nothing special.
It's not just about the resolution. There were several other features and technologies that were listed that also impact the monitor.

ocilfa

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Seeing 5120x2880 makes me thing this is two WQHD(2560x1440) displays fused together. Doesn't really seem all that special.

ocilfa

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Seeing 5120x2880 makes me thing this is two WQHD(2560x1440) displays fused together. Doesn't really seem all that special.

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
there should be no doubt that this is a quality panel as Apple has been known for years for their monitor quality by industry pros (not gamers).

the additional screen real-estate is equivalent to adding 3 1280x720 monitors to the side of a 4K monitor, and 4 1280x720 screens across the top of a 4K monitor.

for the ITpro/ thats a lot of extra terminal windows ro browser tabs etc. More importantly, *for people editing 4K films*, thats enough to work in your adobe premeir interface and controls while being able to view the native resolution of your content.

if you think this is retarded, you are not the target market. who cares.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
I simply can't believe the price they hit. I was thinking it would be $3000 with a screen of such ground-breaking resolution. I'm guessing the Thunderbolt 5K Display will be introduced at the next event along with a Mac Pro Update and new MacBook Air with Retina display. Wished they would use nvidia graphics though....

Darth415

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Why does this supposed technological beast not pack Nvidia's latest Maxwell based mobile chips, especially at that price point? A single GTX 980m approaches the speed of TWO R9 M290x's in crossfire, and the GTX 970m follows in its bigger brother's footsteps, offering nearly as much performance, at a presumably much lower cost. Not to mention how laughable GCN's efficiency is when compared to Maxwell... This is just another underpowered Mac IMO. I laughed as my 13' 1200$ magnesium alloy/carbon fiber laptop had faster graphics (and twice the vram despite having much lower resolution) than the Retina Macbook Pro back in 2012 (and is still faster than the most recent model), while easily lasting more than 8 hours on a single charge (no thanks to Windows or it would be even better) with the sheet battery attached, and still managing to have a much smaller footprint and half the weight. I'll admit that the keyboard is better, and there is the screen of course but that cannot justify the price STILL. The fact that people continue to overpay for their things hurts me a little inside. If you are going to do serious enough work to require a 5k display, why pussy out on the footprint of your workstation? A mini tower could decimate this over-sized tablet all day every day. I realize there are no other 5k options available on the market today (probably because Apple pulled a fast one and bought up all the tech), but tomorrow (figuratively) Dell will release an Ultrasharp with the same panel and that will be that, though in the mean time a decent 4k monitor can be had for 500$.

SpecialMente

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
much misleading judgments.

Someone complaining about the author ( wonder why if they are so much better technicians they don't work as reporter yet )
Someone complaining about the cheap panel (as if they yet own not only a better 5k but even just a 5k, other technologies included )
Someone complaining about the graphics ( and then dissenting about battery performance of their notebook, good luck with that carbon fiber incomparable technology... by the way carbon phobia to the touch is just plastic, metal is way more sweet )
Someone there will be a better dell in 2016 ( and what about 2020?)

The only ones i can agree with is the guy ( and the ban threatened guy as well ) noting if you don't want it don't buy it.
But probably you just want it but buying it goes against your window pc religion, in which case i agree the machine is pretty upsetting, right?
I wonder what would be the comments without an apple logo on it...

StarBound

Honorable
May 26, 2013
My GTX980 can't even game properly at 4k and then Ubisoft can't even properly code past 900p. So what's the point of having 5k on a mac?

everlast66

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
At first I thought why 5K, but then realised that its actually very well strategically positioned for those that need to edit 4K video content, which is getting more and more common. This machine will allow you to play 4K at full res and still have the timeline and other tools on the sides.
4K cameras are pretty expensive as well, so such clients wouldn't have a problem to fork $2.5k for this Mac as well.

agmsd

Estimable
Oct 16, 2014
It's cheaper than buying a 4k stand alone monitor from other manufacturers. Damn you Samsung, Dell, LG and the rest of the monitors' manufacturing companies for forcing us to choose between price and TN panels.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
@everlast66

4k is common, when you talk about professional movies and such... consumer wise... i would rather have an amazing 1080p than an ok 4k camera. the only real place you see macs commonly are in professional environments because of history (macs use to pack more ram than pc's did by a mile many MANY years ago) and people who don't know they can get better for cheaper.

kunthakenthe

Estimable
May 20, 2014
@Starbound My GTX980 can't even game properly at 4k and then Ubisoft can't even properly code past 900p. So what's the point of having 5k on a mac?

well a sli/cfx is needed for a really good 4k experience, but here were talking about editing not gaming, so thats why 5k. 1080p is good but for photos the higher quality the more detailed you can make it look and spot out. Cant reply for some reason.

tyler29

Estimable
Oct 16, 2014
"Seeing 5120x2880 makes me thing this is two WQHD(2560x1440) displays fused together. Doesn't really seem all that special."

Lol I think you would need to fuse FOUR (2560x1440) displays to get that 5K resolution... XD

Status
Not open for further replies.