Solved! Improve loudness on Samson SR950

adikumar2010

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I got Samson SR950 they sound fine , no issue with quality but the problem is the output is low from my PC motherboard. How can I make them sound louder? I don't want to spend more then $50-60. I just listen to music and play games I am not into any studio stuff.

I saw some amps but they are tiny portable rechargeable but I will be using headphones on my desk so I can get proper amp with wall adapter. I assume full size amp will be better then those small portable ones and you don't have to recharge them.

I don't know what will be better an Amp or PCIe sound card or DAC/amp combo or something else.

Solution
FX Audio DAC X6 is good or X3 if you can find it for a good amount cheaper. Of the ones you listed the Fiio would be best if you can't get the FX Audio one. FiiO BTR3 is also a good pick, should be higher output amp on it, and you also get the benefit of bluetooth. FiiO E10K is another desktop model that is good to look at, but may be harder to find in your area or more expensive.
Since your complaint is lack of volume not quality and your budget is limited a headphone amp or soundcard with a headphone amp that is happy with a 32ohm load are you best options, An external DAC/Amp would be best but your budget limits the quality.
Check out parts-express.com for some options. You can also consult with headfi.org for more expert opinions.

Reactions: adikumar2010

adikumar2010

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Since your complaint is lack of volume not quality and your budget is limited a headphone amp or soundcard with a headphone amp that is happy with a 32ohm load are you best options, An external DAC/Amp would be best but your budget limits the quality.
Check out parts-express.com for some options. You can also consult with headfi.org for more expert opinions.

There are not many options/brands on in India on amazon, some are not available and some are over priced.

Which one is good amongst these :
  1. Behringer MA400
  2. FiiO A1
  3. Cymrix HA400 MKII
  4. Aokeo AMP-400
  5. Creative Sound Blaster Play! 3
  6. M-Audio Bass Traveler
  7. Pyle-Pro PHA40

Last edited:
FX Audio DAC X6 is good or X3 if you can find it for a good amount cheaper. Of the ones you listed the Fiio would be best if you can't get the FX Audio one. FiiO BTR3 is also a good pick, should be higher output amp on it, and you also get the benefit of bluetooth. FiiO E10K is another desktop model that is good to look at, but may be harder to find in your area or more expensive.

Solution
Of the ones you list some are for multiple headphones which you don't need. Some are battery powered which you mention you don't want. The Creative, while rated for up to 300 ohm headphones, may have the same issue with volume. You would have to try it to be sure. It's USB powered so no battery issues.
The Behringer is a mixer as well as a headphone amp but should drive professional headphones and uses a 12v wall wart power supply.

Reactions: adikumar2010