In need of surround sound speakers....

haveAcoke

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
This might prove difficult because this concerns my old Aiwa stereo from 1992, yes 1992. Still works awesome!! Thanks Taiwanese people! Anyways, the stereo has two surround sound speaker outputs that are rated for 19 ohms, not sure if that's correct or not. But I can seem to find any surround sound speakers that are dual kits and not nine speaker set ups.

The output has composite type connectors. The reason why I now want to get surround sound speakers this late in the game is because I have my puter connected to the stereo's auxiliary input, and last night, I watched Inception in HD and damn, that movie deserves surround sound! Thanks!!

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I do not know if you are trying to get your Aiwa to work with surround but that will not work without a proper decoder. You will also need a discreet sound system and not just virtual surround.

By the way, that is probably 16 ohms not 19.

haveAcoke

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
I believe the stereo is already setup for surround output, the stereo has two main speaker outputs and two surround speaker outputs above those two.

Yep, I just checked, it is 16 ohm. :whistle:

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
When I bought my stereo system in '91, the system is only capable of Quadraphonic surround and 1992 equipment isn't much different. Thought your system can do surround, I am certain it's not up to today's multichannel system.

You need at least a 5.1 DD or DTS capable system for DVD's, Blu-ray’s even have Dolby true-HD and/or DTS-HD. I don't know if you still want to hold on your old system and add more to meet today’s surround sound system but you'll need new decoding equipment, $500 would give you a decent surround sound system if you know where to look.

haveAcoke

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Well, I'm not too concerned about Blu-ray surround sound or watching DVDs on DVD players since the stereo is connected to my puter and I watch most of my movies on it.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I'm comfused...
The reason why I now want to get surround sound speakers this late in the game is because I have my puter connected to the stereo's auxiliary input, and last night, I watched Inception in HD and damn, that movie deserves surround sound! Thanks!!
If you wanted that movie (Inception) to play the real surround then you need to decode its multi-channel system. If you're ok with your surround then you don't need anything else.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
chances are, you can find a software decoder and map the software to play the surround sound through the surround sound speakers.
but before you move on, you really need to determine if your soundcard can send rear channel audio the the aiwa receiver.

i know you said you have the front stereo speakers hooked up.. but you didnt mention anything about the soundcard having rear channel outputs.
and while you are at it, you need to learn if the soundcard will decode anything dolby.. because if it wont, you are gonna have to find a software decoder.

anyways.. the chances of finding a 16ohm surround speaker (one or a pair) arent very high.
and if you did manage to find one at that impedance rating, they probably wont sound very good.

what you need to do is buy two sets of 8ohm speakers and wire them in series.
that means two speakers for each rear channel (a total of four speakers for the back speakers).
you will have hundreds of options if you are looking for 8ohm speakers.

you also really need to test the rear channels of the receiver and check if they work.
i dont know what ohm your front stereo speakers are.. but if you dont want to cause any damage, you need to wire them in series to increase the ohms.
it would be silly to purchase some speakers for the rear channels only to find out that one or both of the rear channels dont work.

congratulations on your old receiver still working..!