In Pictures: USC's 3D Lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

we_are_theBorg

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I saw a demo of active LCD shutter glasses triggered by an IR transmitter on an SGI machine in 1992 (and it was mind-blowing)... This is not new... not even close... I saw a prototype of glasses-less 3D TV at the MIT media lab in 2003... (admittedly using an obscenely large heavy active lens in front of the tube)...

People seem to be talking about this stuff as if it was new. It is just gaining commercial momentum because other display technologies have stalled (OLED), and LCD technology has finally started approaching the contrast and refresh rates that CRTs had 18 years ago.

Mind you, I'm thrilled to replace my 23" SGI CRT with a Samsung LCD weighing less than 1/10th as much with a nice sharp digital image, but since color and viewing angles are important to me I have PVA panels, which are still limited to about an 8ms refresh rate. My SGI could do 1920x1200 @ 140Hz

Grump grump...

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Can someone explain the difference between the nVidia shutter glasses they're pushing today compared to the ones you could get with a GeForce 2 about 10 years ago? I ran those on a CRT to get a 3D effect while playing games like Quake and such.. Is this the same tech being pushed onto LCD's?
Cause however cool it was back then, it was far from perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.