In Windows laptop world, Is it common that upgrading the BIOS, Windows, drivers scr*w up the system?

modeonoff

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
I was checking about the heat/fan/thermal issues of the Carbon X1 6th gen. Users have these issues. Lenovo and MS pointed the finger at each other. Somebody found that by reinstalling Windows to overwrite a setting, the problem could be solved. Then, Lenovo released a new BIOS and things got scre*ed up again.

In Windows laptop world, does this sort of things (upgrading something screw up others) happen often?

ss202sl

Honorable
May 23, 2012
It's not real common, but it doesn't affect only laptops. A bios upgrade can change how the system functions, and that can have a negative affect on Windows. That's why I said that unless you have an issue(that is corrected by a bios upgrade), then don't update the bios. Another issue is that there is a risk of bricking the motherboard. I bricked one and I followed the directions given by the MB manufacturer - they did fix it, but it took several weeks

ss202sl

Honorable
May 23, 2012
It's not real common, but it doesn't affect only laptops. A bios upgrade can change how the system functions, and that can have a negative affect on Windows. That's why I said that unless you have an issue(that is corrected by a bios upgrade), then don't update the bios. Another issue is that there is a risk of bricking the motherboard. I bricked one and I followed the directions given by the MB manufacturer - they did fix it, but it took several weeks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Laptop General Discussion 1
lejan Laptop General Discussion 1
D Laptop General Discussion 3
Anna hita Laptop General Discussion 10
younesbenimam Laptop General Discussion 0
s355 Laptop General Discussion 2
Purujit Laptop General Discussion 3
L Laptop General Discussion 1
Ashfaq1786 Laptop General Discussion 5
M Laptop General Discussion 2
laptopseeks2020 Laptop General Discussion 2