Inability to view some photographs sent by mobile phone

sitruc

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014
My daughter sends me photos from her HTC phone which when I want to view them using Firefox, Picasa, Adobe Photoshop elements nothing happens except that I get a message about an unknown file type. The file is named eg ��[�6��9�jv�. Only VLC media playerwhich shows the picture briefly and then disappears and Internet Explorer [ the photo shows on half of the computer screen] seem to work.
Photographs from other sources work as normally. I open them and save them and view them with whatever program I want which is what I would like to do with these but cannot. Is it the phone or my my laptops? Oh yes, I have tried it on more than one computer.
The same happens when I try to view them within my “ in the cloud “spam filter, rather than downloading them onto the laptop.
Can anybody help please.
Thanks

Solution

Those symbols usually indicate that the file is corrupt and that would explain why you can't view it with any image viewer. You...

sitruc

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014
Sorry but I cannot do anything more than shown above which is an extract from a screen dump��[�6��9�jv�. That is two black diamonds with a question mark in them a open brackets sign, a black diamond with question mark in it, the number 6 two more black diamonds,again with question marks, the number 9, a black diamond with question mark in it jv ans final black diamond with qustion mark. There is not the usual .png or.jpg that I might expect. Sometimes there is an indecipherable squiggle before jv but otherwise just what I have shown and attempted to describe. All photos from that source are the same.

Those symbols usually indicate that the file is corrupt and that would explain why you can't view it with any image viewer. You could try getting her to send them again provided she hasn't deleted them.

Solution