Insiders Say Intel to Build PlayStation 4 GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
intel doing the gpu? I don't know..considering how little experience they have with it (none really, their worthless igp's don't count) and laterbee still has to prove itself (not to mention release) it seems far too pre-mature to say intel might be doing it, I don't think companies hate nvidia that much

TheFace

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Why wouldn't you break the cycle? Maybe release your console mid-cycle so yours is actually 2-3 years development time, more powerful than the competitions'. Why live in the confines of this "product cycle". They can produce a console that developers WANT to program for, make it affordable yet more powerful than the competition's due to the extra development time, and maybe throw something in that the competition doesn't have (something like the wii did this time around). This doesn't just have to apply to Sony, but they want their product cycle to last longer than what the others seem to be doing. Thoughts?

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Can someone elaborate why Nvidia isn't welcome in the consoles? I wasn't aware of such big problems. Thanks.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
i honestly dont think intel will put a GPU in a console but i could be wrong it may be more powerful then we thought it would be...

G

Nvidia is in the lead of the competition. intel on the other hand is way over expecting its larrabee to compete with ATI and Nvidia. throw in a new 16 SPE cell on the table and uv got urself a standoff. although from the demos iv seen and heard of larrabee its mainly physics oriented (although its still too early to tell. it is highly daughtful they can reach a teraFLOP) .... who knows how ps4 will work with it in combination with the cell ....

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
It may not be that coveted ten year life cycle Sony is shooting for, but in the interest of sales and competition, shaving a few years off wouldn't hurt.
Are you retarded?

The PS1's life was 11 years, with games being published until '05. The PS2 is still kicking 8 years from it's launch.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Efrayim[/nom]Poor Nvidia[/citation]
Poor ppl who buy a ps4 Intel has been able to deliver gpu that are nice looking on paper but none that work out in tests very well.

MrBradley

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Is this a joke? Wheres the logic in this? You've got two brands that focus their entire entity based on graphics. So they decide a company with almost no experience in a graphic based market?

G

I didn't notice that nvidia fail in every console it took part in but u can't blame nvidia if the console won't sell. Its the games that push the console.

1raflo

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
although from the demos iv seen and heard of larrabee its mainly physics oriented (although its still too early to tell. it is highly daughtful they can reach a teraFLOP)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larrabee_(GPU)

According to this article, Larrabee is expected to have nearly 2 teraflops of computing power (a lil more raw computing power than a single 4870X2, lets w8 until the first benchmarks ...)

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
[citation][nom]enewmen[/nom]Can someone elaborate why Nvidia isn't welcome in the consoles? I wasn't aware of such big problems. Thanks.[/citation]
I remember there being bad blood between Microsoft and nVidia with the Xbox 1. Since Microsoft used basically off the shelf graphics and didn't own the silicon microsoft couldn't control the pricing of the Xbox 1. I imagine that Sony is having more issues with the performance end of what they got from nVidia.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Almost no experience in the graphic based market? are you insane? take a look at the numbers on who ships more graphic chip sets. Intel owns around 46% of the market share of shipped graphic chips. Intel has the resources to make something like the larrabee work. Especially now that they have a little more motivation to make an instant impact on a market. With Sony now basically paying for some of the initial cost of larrabee, Intel can bring it to mass production scale without much risk.

G

"Demerjiana also said to expect the Wii2 and Xbox3 (or whatever they end up being named), in or around 2012. If that's true, expect the PS3 at the same time. It may not be that coveted ten year life cycle Sony is shooting for, but in the interest of sales and competition, shaving a few years off wouldn't hurt."

umm... u meant that as PS4, right? we already have PS3 ;)

apache_lives

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
Ummm we forget here that gpus are just giant processors (well lots of smaller cores etc) - something Intel is a monster at! And when packing in all those cores into a more advanced manafacturing process (45nm or better vs ati 55nm etc) there will be advantage.

Intel may not be able (yet) to make a "video card" but they can make chips that will have more (perhaps) raw processing power then the competition, which sony can use.

We all forget the turn arounds intel have - Pentium D to Core 2 Duo, jumps with 65nm vs 45nm core 2's, SSD's (first attempt dominates) etc, and do we all forget who owns most of the "graphics" market? INTEL - billions of dells etc use Intel Integrated video making up more then 50% of the market.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
My thought was that Intel had such a large gpu market share because their cheap to put in pre-builts. With this in mind, how does this say anything about their performance?

Out of curiosity whats the fastest card Intel has out right now? How does it compare to Nvidia/ATI?

Status
Not open for further replies.