Inspiron 1545: No boot, no beeps, no screen/backlight

sadlaptop

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Hey Everyone,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 running Windows 7 64-bit. It is just over 1 year old which means it is less than 2 weeks out of warranty.

Last week, I went to turn it on out of sleep mode. When I pressed the power button, the power light came on and the fan turned on but the screen did not light up, not even the backlight. When I pressed the power button a second time, the whole laptop powered down again without needing to hold the button for five seconds. I thought it might be stuck from a bad sleep cycle, so I unplugged it and took out the battery, pressed the power button once to clear any stored electricity, and then plugged it back in without battery. Again it would not boot up but after trying 3 or 4 times, *bam*, it just started working again without problem. I could turn it off, boot it up, etc.

Yesterday, sadly, the same thing happened. After a sleep mode, the computer will not boot. This time I followed all the same steps as above without success.

I reseated the memory, as well as testing both modules individually. No change. Even when both sticks were removed, there were no changes.

I removed the hard drive and reseated it, also sadly to no change.

Now, when the power button is pressed, the power light turns on, the fan spins up, the hard drive spins up in its normal way, and the dvd drive blinks. But there is no screen including backlight, no beeps, and nothing else happens.

If I do the diagnostic test of holding the power button down as the laptop is powered on, I get 7 straight beeps without pauses in between or change in length.

I would appreciate any help you could suggest, especially if any of you have run into a similar problem before. Thanks!

Sincerely,

SadLaptop

sadlaptop

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Hey rpg123,

Thanks for the advice. After reading through it, it seemed like a great answer.

I spent a couple of hours getting to the damn CMOS chip because on an Inspiron 15 you have to take the entire laptop apart to reach it underneath the motherboard.

When I finally got to it, I took it out for 5 minutes, snapped it back in, and went back through putting the damn laptop back together.

I can say I was never more excited to try turning on a laptop, but unfortunately, there was no change. Everything is still (not) working just as it was. On one hand, at least I didn't break anything else, but sadly, no win.

Thanks again. I appreciate the tip.

- sadlaptop

sadlaptop

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

If you are referring to the a/c adapter, I have been able to try another without success. As far as the internals, I do not believe I will be able to switch anything out since a good chunk of the power supply is simply part of the Inspiron chassi:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1545/en/SM/index.htm

Thanks for the idea!

- sadlaptop