Inspiron 2650 forum

rcanewbie

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Hello,
I have a Inspiron 2650 with the Celeron 1.6Ghz processor with 512 RAM. It came with a plain CDROM drive that works fine. I installed a dvd/cdcombo drive as a replacement to view movies, but the drive does not recognize the dvd disk. I have loaded VLC player and that too does not recognize the dvd disk. I appreciate any help you can give. thanks

rcanewbie

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Thanks hang-the-9. I have tried several different DVD movies.
I have loaded Windows drivers and updated with the Dell Support driver list, but no go.
I can play an audio CD and it plays fine, but when I put a DVD movie in, I get no response, not even audio.
I can hear the drive starting and stopping as if it is hunting on the disk for information but I get no other response from the drive. Windows Device Manager indicates that the drive is functioning properly even though it isn't. I am thinking that I have forgotten some software or something simple but I cannot figure it out. The drive is brand new so the probability of being bad is not high, though I suppose it could be defective. Just want to make sure I have not exhausted all other possibilities. Thanks for any help on this.

Do programs on DVD (game or something) work OK? DVD/CD drives can have a bad DVD or CD reader part and the other side may work just fine.

You can try to run the filter fix http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/upperfilters-lowerfilters.htm, then uninstall and re-install the drive from device manager, see if that fixes it.

If not, get a replacement drive.

rcanewbie

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012

Thanks Hang-the -9 but after trying your suggestion I still cannot get the drive to function correctly.
I have contacted the vendor about the dvd drive and I am awaiting their response.
Thanks again.