Installing Linux on a Windows Laptop

punkzie

Estimable
Nov 27, 2015
Hi, I have an Asus X551M Laptop that came preinstalled with Windows 8.1. Since then, I have uninstalled Windows and am now trying to install Kali Linux onto it. However, I think the partitions are locked, as there are four partitions named "System", "MSR Reserved" and two
Primary" partitions. When I delete them in the installer, and attempt to install Linux onto the Free Space, it fails, saying failure of input/output on /dev/sda1/. This is the same if I try to install Windows 10 onto the partitions; they are protected and I cannot delete them. How can I fix this?

Also: I have tried using gparted and fdisk through my linux terminal, as well as the DOS equivalent in the Windows 10 installer. No avail. Thanks for the help!

Solution
Do you want to run windows at all on this computer? If not, try starting your partitioning from scratch. To do this, open gparted and go to Device -> Create Partition Table -> msdos. Then create a blank partition formatted as ext4 to install Linux to. If you need more help on this step, just ask.

meztek

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017
Do you want to run windows at all on this computer? If not, try starting your partitioning from scratch. To do this, open gparted and go to Device -> Create Partition Table -> msdos. Then create a blank partition formatted as ext4 to install Linux to. If you need more help on this step, just ask.

Solution