Installing SSD in Alienware M18X ?

melm99

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016
I am going to install an SSD for the first time. Researched it on Alienware Support and other forums. There were some conflicting thoughts on the best way to keep the original HHD, along with the SSD, in terms of allocation. I can do a clean install, with an operating disc on the SSD.Then do I reinstall the HDD inside the laptop, (there are two bays) ? Does the HDD need to be wiped or have a partition made ? There are a couple software programs which I would like to keep but may not be necessary. One is Alienrespawn, which I purchased. It is for making backups of the HHD.
Any advice or suggestions from people who have done this would be appreciated.

Hi,

Here are things you can do about that scenario.
- First, if you're planning on using the SSD as the drive where you'll install the OS, disconnect the original HDD first so you won't be confused when you're installing Windows.
- Once done installing Windows in the SSD, load into BIOS and set the SSD as the first boot device and once done you can shut it down and reinstall the old HDD.
- If you plan on getting more storage space by means of using the HDD you can use Disc Management to format the HDD.
- But if you plan on keeping it as it is you can just leave it as it is and you'll be able to access you files inside the HDD still.

Hopefully I was able to answer your question. :)

melm99

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016