Installing Windows 10 on a new Hectron 240GB SSD

F1demon

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
HI there,

I recently bought an Asus E402SA which comes with 4GB RAM and a 32 GB Eemc disk. I also bought a 240GB SSD and installed it in the bay provided for the purpose.

I then used Disk Management to initialise/format and give the new SSD a Volume serial number/drive name, label etc. Using a bootable Win10 USB I rebooted my system using the USB as the primary boot drive and installed Windows on the SSD.

However, now ever ytime the laptop boots it asks me which OS to use and more so, I was hoping to use some of the manufacturer supplied software such as MyAsus for System Info, serial no, warranty details, support etc but it doesn't allow me to execute that software. When I try by going into explorer and double-clicking them (when I have booted using the OS on the SSD) it gives me an error message. Yet, if I boot using the OS on the original "C" drive then it does allow me!?

So, my questions are:

1) Is this normal? Should I leave the choice to boot up? Can the choices be renamed so its easier to distinguish? Should I do away with it entirely and choose a default in the interest of speed etc?

2) How can I use the ASUS software that came with the laptop when booting from the new SSD?

3) My laptop doesn't seem so 'fast' compared to before? I have a Hectron 240GB SSD. I'm guessing until I sort this out I won't be able to tell?

Thanks!

Solution
Since you can tell the difference between the two you can just let the cloning software take care of it.

In regards to the 2 boot drives after the fact:
Set the SSD to first boot in BIOS
Download EasyBCD and you can set it to not give you option anymore on what to boot or however you want it
1) Yes this is the way it is designed to be. When you install the program it not only installs your program files in a folder, it can put other files in user account folder, program data folder, windows folder, and then there is the entries into the Windows Registry. It then takes ALL of these to run and execute the program; and you cant access the windows registry on one drive with the windows on another.

2) You will need to wipe your SSD, and clone the existing OS on the 32gb partition to it

3) I have never heard of Hectron, if it uses async nand chips or other cheap components it could in fact be slower then your eemc drive.

F1demon

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

Tks for your reply.

1) Will cloning lead to more space being used on the disk or exactly the same amount of 32 GB? Currently the disk has used space of 23 GB so, will be 23 GB or 32 GB?

2) Hectron is a new firm. I was on a budget so, went for it after reading the reviews. Its an MLC and comes with a three yr warranty. I was also impressed with the packaging. I'm guessing its along the lines of Chinese mfrs making inroads here like, KingDian etc.

-Cheers!

1) Cloning the drive will take up as much space as is being used on the 32gb drive. It is not the size of the partition, but the amount of space used. If that 32 GB partition has 24GB used then you will use 24gb of space cloning it.

2) You get what you pay for.

F1demon

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

1) Can suggest any cloning software?

2) I think the jury is still out on that one going by the reviews...

Since you can tell the difference between the two you can just let the cloning software take care of it.

In regards to the 2 boot drives after the fact:
Set the SSD to first boot in BIOS
Download EasyBCD and you can set it to not give you option anymore on what to boot or however you want it

Solution

F1demon

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

Had a look at Macrium and it isn't very user-friendly? Asks me to use Diskpart and create an MBR etc? Isn't there anything menu-driven out there?