Integrated graphics taking priority over Discrete graphics GTX 765m (Alienware - Windows 10)

BattleT0ad

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015
Recently I installed a Geforce GTX 765m in my Alienware m17xr4 (Windows 10 64-bit). After installing the drivers and booting up some games I noticed I had terrible performance and after using the MSI Afterburner hardware monitor it showed that there was no activity. So my laptop is in fact using my Integrated graphics card.

The problem is it will not allow me to use the discreet graphics whatsoever. I've gone into the Global Settings of the Nvidia Control Panel and set the Preferred Graphics Processor to the High Performance Nvidia Processor and have even tried applying this to specific games in the Program settings tab to no avail. It continues to default to my Integrated Graphics whenever I boot up a game! Any way to resolve this?

Solution
Hi,

Please do try these steps.
- Go to the location of the folder where the games are stored in and look for the .exe file of the actual game and right click on it and look for "Run with graphics processor" and select High-performance NVIDIA processor.
(Note: you'll have to do this in all games you'll play.
- Next is to open NVIDIA control panel the go to Manage 3D settings
- Go to Program Files tab and under Select a program to customize click Add.
- Browse for the .exe file again of your game then under "Select the prefered graphics processor for this program" select High-performance NVIDIA processor.

Hope this helps.

Winly

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
can you go into the BIOS and disable integrated graphics? you should try that :)
also, if that doesn't work, just uninstall the drivers from the integrated one.

Hi,

Please do try these steps.
- Go to the location of the folder where the games are stored in and look for the .exe file of the actual game and right click on it and look for "Run with graphics processor" and select High-performance NVIDIA processor.
(Note: you'll have to do this in all games you'll play.
- Next is to open NVIDIA control panel the go to Manage 3D settings
- Go to Program Files tab and under Select a program to customize click Add.
- Browse for the .exe file again of your game then under "Select the prefered graphics processor for this program" select High-performance NVIDIA processor.

Hope this helps.

Solution