Intel CEO: Google TV Coming This Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
True to form, Google is trying to be Apple again by copying every single thing they do. The only issue here is that the Apple TV sucks, and since everything Apple makes is substantially better in every way than the "competition", it is a completely lost cause.

(And yes, I know, using "competition" and "Apple" in the same sentence is laughable, but I figured it was more polite than the more accurate term "wannabes".)

tmax

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
[citation][nom]chess[/nom]Google just pwned Apple[/citation]

Google just pwned the Cable and Satellite TV Companies. I hope it lives up to the hype.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Apple TV is going to be a bigger success than you anticipate.

Middle-aged people that value their time and have money to spend and just recently discovered PCs, Laptops, Macbooks, Netbooks, Smartphones, HD and so on would be very glad to use it to see movies sitting on their couch, drinking a glass of red wine or beer on the screen they bought from walmart (they dont even know the difference between the HD ready and full HD)... and they will be happy they can do without the help of their kids...

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]jasonr49[/nom]I wouldn't buy anything from someone who insults his mother...[/citation]

I'm not sure stating that a more simplistic device thats easier to use is more catered to your mother is an insult. People like iDevice's because they are easy to use, unfortunatly easy to use and cutting edge have never really been in the same boat together.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
@humans think: those people usually get the full package + DVR from their cable/sat provider. They don't even consider the "complexity" of hooking on a secondary box.

There's nothing ATV has that my cable plan hasn't.
There's nothing on my LAN that an ATV can access that my PS3 and xBox can't.
PPV and Netflix? Have that already, thanks.
Paying 99cts extra for shows I can already get from Netflix, Hulu or my cable plan? No thanks.

We'll see if GoogleTV is any different, but ATV is definitely redundant.

messele

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Didn't somebody already invent a box that you can plug into your TV and go on the internet and stuff?

Everybody abandoned that and moved onto laptops for leisure use.

Google have made a big mistake cramming all these features in to impress geeks with stuff they don't need. They will not be talking about "the game" on their TV. They'll watch the TV and talk about that stuff on their phone or laptop.

They should instead be concentrating on the content which is the be-all and end-all of why we watch TV. If the TV and film studios are not onboard they are totally wasting their time.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]messele[/nom]Didn't somebody already invent a box that you can plug into your TV and go on the internet and stuff?Everybody abandoned that and moved onto laptops for leisure use.Google have made a big mistake cramming all these features in to impress geeks with stuff they don't need. They will not be talking about "the game" on their TV. They'll watch the TV and talk about that stuff on their phone or laptop.They should instead be concentrating on the content which is the be-all and end-all of why we watch TV. If the TV and film studios are not onboard they are totally wasting their time.[/citation]

That's right I'm typing this on one right now. And I also have one connected to one of my HDTV's. I just don't get the hype of limited ability devices?

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]tmax[/nom]Google just pwned the Cable and Satellite TV Companies. I hope it lives up to the hype.[/citation]
The problem is that people still rely on Cable/Satellite companies for internet service to make things like Google TV possible. If Comcast sees enough people ditch T.V. based services then they will just compensate with ISP rate hikes. In fact more and more "secondary" services are going to rely on your ISP, and the ISP can just offer you the same service at a discount. For example, Comcast and Verizon both offer a VOIP phone service like Vonage pioneered. They will do the same with Google/Apple T.V.

messele

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]The problem is that people still rely on Cable/Satellite companies for internet service to make things like Google TV possible.[/citation]

Nice to see a few people talking sense and not just buying into the hype. Taking broadcasts off of cable / satellite and pumping all of that data down (inadequate) net connections to individuals is just not going to work.

For years...

Much better to keep the Cable / Satellite model the way it is and concentrate on a different segment of the market. Not broadcast TV but Rental and Movies / Programs that people want to own.

This is where google should be looking. They are just not in a position to go after the big boys and upset them right now.

johnnyupgrade

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
GoogleTV is just gonna be for those people who still prefer the TV over a computer. A lot of people don't want mess with the confusing process of hooking up a laptop or creating a mediacenter.

I won't get one, but I can't wait to see how people hack it.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]True to form, Google is trying to be Apple again by copying every single thing they do. The only issue here is that the Apple TV sucks, and since everything Apple makes is substantially better in every way than the "competition", it is a completely lost cause. (And yes, I know, using "competition" and "Apple" in the same sentence is laughable, but I figured it was more polite than the more accurate term "wannabes".)[/citation]Since when did apple did something original? The iPhone wasn't the first smartphone, nor the iPod was the first mp3 player, or the iPad the first tablet, or the iTunes the first digital store,... They copied it from other companies.

messele

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
To be fair the iPhone was the first model to do things properly from the ground up. Nobody can deny that Nokia etc. were already doing it but they had it completely wrong.

They saw the ideal (just like the mouse and GUI years ago) saw that the smart guys who thought of it had no idea what they were doing and just walked off with the loot.

Inventors don't necessarily make the money, the exploiter of ideas makes money.

Google ARE copying Apple as they are trying to emulate the entire model...except they have a few key elements missing right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.