Intel, Toyota Working on In-Vehicle Entertainment Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixdegree

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Intel chip on vehicle? So when we want to buy a car, we have to buy the "K" trim level or else the doors couldn't be unlocked? Can it run Crysis on max setting? Do they do die shrink or new architecture for every 6 month? What's the socket for these chips?

So many unanswered question...

gerchokas

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
I find it entertaining just to drive the car, if I need some entertainment I turn the music up or drive home, to play some games in an actual CPU...

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
This is nothing new, they have been putting computer chips in cars for years. In fact it's why I decided to not get into the auto service I realized it was going down the same road as if I tried to get into a computer science field. The only real difference would be is I have to do heavy lifting and work with tools.

G

Am i the only thats thinking of knight rider, but the 2010 version. i would buy that.

imagine a Supra, with an Siri Like computer and uses an see through monitor/windscreen like the new samsung tech.

that is not impossible, nor hard.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
WHy aren't new car's ECU an Atom processor? Or a ULV mainstream processor?
I read an article that just recently cars are getting computers sophisticated enough for grille dampers, alternator behavior to act like a mild hybrid, direct injection, etc.
Why are car manufactures so obsessed over this "CAN" bus thing?

soky602

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]sixdegree[/nom]Intel chip on vehicle? So when we want to buy a car, we have to buy the "K" trim level or else the doors couldn't be unlocked? Can it run Crysis on max setting? Do they do die shrink or new architecture for every 6 month? What's the socket for these chips? So many unanswered question...[/citation]
I'm sure it has enough power to run over Crysis.

mart666

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Why they don't put AMD processors, they are lower in cost...

And, why they don't make better motor parts... I have a 2003 corolla and i have to replace a couple of small motor parts, when i buyed it i was thinking that toyota are the best cars to keep a long time, but i see that they are not better than ford, so, even if they put intel cpus in their cars, i don't think i'll buy again a toyota car...

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
What I would like would be to have a sort of mechwarrior heads up display on the windshield. That would point out potential collision hazards, rapidly slowing or merging vehicles, Point out pedestrians, bicycles at night, night vision on the actual windshield. All the cool stuff futuristic game cockpits have.

Adaptive cruise control should be standard, just like stability control.

People are too "entertained" already. I want some features to protect me from them.

G

Of course they would want to get into this market. Anyone that has looked at the prices on tech packages on a luxury car knows the insane profit that they contain.

Status
Not open for further replies.