Intel Wants Atom to Power Your Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

racermx187

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
This is a really cool setup. I wish Tom's would do more reviews and articles about home automation and the like.

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]counselmancl[/nom]What are you doing Dave?[/citation]

How dare you mess up a quote from 2001! Google it man!

shadow187

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
I will not trust my home to a machine. Man is not perfect, therefore anything he makes is not perfect. Imagine an error in the machine causing it to shut everything off forever, or perhaps turn everything on and overload the circuits, causing as fire.

I don't know; I just wouldn't trust my home with a machine.

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
now that looks wicked, i like the entire black colour and oled screen on it

lol although its not directly competition it almost looks like the "anti ipad" with its sexy black and oled screen

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
People have been doing this for years with out this system. Ive seen setups where you can control one socket on a quad socket wall mount so you can turn lights off or turn on your stereo or whatever from the remote or central touch screen. More mainstream kits would be great though.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
There are two things that would help me run my house more efficiently:

1) A thermostat that you set a range on - min temp and max temp, and the device decides if AC or heater needs to be turned on (with TOD programming of course).

2) An internet accessible thermostat. My wife and I commute together, she closes at a restaurant. In other words irregular days off and irregular ending times each day. However, with a 30 minute commute, if I could use my smartphone to access it over the internet and dial up the AC or heat as needed before leaving, then I would keep the house at much more moderate levels when gone. Its the same logic as to why people like remote car starters in the more northern states. :)

[citation][nom]shadow187[/nom]... I don't know; I just wouldn't trust my home with a machine.[/citation]

Too late. Unless you are using old energy inefficient technology then you are relying on more imbedded computer systems than you realize.

Also, go look up some of the exploding water heater videos and you'll realize a malfunction in one of those would be equally horrendous - but I don't think you'll go without hot water, right?

Also, how do you think larger systems are managed? Energy distribution to your house, water distribution, sewage removal and processing, and so forth. Technology is just a tool used to keep systems in balance by doing calculations at rates that no person could ever hope to do.

[citation][nom]racermx187[/nom]... I wish Tom's would do more reviews and articles about home automation and the like.[/citation]

I agree. Also, I wish Tom's would cover more imbedded technologies.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
[citation][nom]shadow187[/nom]I will not trust my home to a machine. Man is not perfect, therefore anything he makes is not perfect. Imagine an error in the machine causing it to shut everything off forever, or perhaps turn everything on and overload the circuits, causing as fire. I don't know; I just wouldn't trust my home with a machine.[/citation]
does your computer overload circuits,and cache fire? no, worst case scenario your house get BSoD, and you have to reboot.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]thearm[/nom]How dare you mess up a quote from 2001! Google it man![/citation]
It's an awful film. Get over it.[citation][nom]shadow187[/nom]I will not trust my home to a machine. Man is not perfect, therefore anything he makes is not perfect. Imagine an error in the machine causing it to shut everything off forever, or perhaps turn everything on and overload the circuits, causing as fire. I don't know; I just wouldn't trust my home with a machine.[/citation]
I would. See, I trust my lap with a machine (laptop, could explode). I trust my flights (30,000 feet up) with a machine. I trust my career (web) with a machine. I trust my long distance relationship with a machine. I trust my life everytime I go by bus to a machine. I'd honestly trust my house with a machine. So what if it crashes, shuts down or becomes unresponsive? It'll be no different to when a regular powercut/cable outage/ internet failure/ gas blockage/water blockage/ drain blockage/lightbulb death/ heating problems occur. This time it'll just be centralised, high tech and probably will have better detection sensors.

You sir are alarmist.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Hum, interesting.. . . . . .
I still don't know how much can you really save using this device, and how much would you spend buying it and wiring all the freaking house with those sensors.
Sometimes a normal switch does the job just fine.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Home automation is cool.
Home automation will be part of our lives in the near future.

I am looking forward for home automation that can wash, and iron my clothes, cook my food, or even fix themselves if there are problems like leaking pipes, etc. :D
This will give you more time for things which are more important in your life like spending time for your family and friends.

Right now I am using a PLC to control lighting and automatic roller windows. Light sensors and time based logic are used here.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]gemmakaru[/nom]Yeah but can it run (in a) crisis?[/citation]
Can your fridge run (in a) crisis? Can your precious car run without petrol ('gas') from the (mechanised) pumps? Can you post sarcastic overdone jokes on TH during a crisis?

In fact, other than foraging apples and blackberries from the non-existant trees, there isn't much you can do, even clean water would disappate faster than my bank balance on rent day.

Status
Not open for further replies.