Interface for PC to Amp

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Currently I have an audio problem and would greatly appreciate your input. If you want to skip most of the text I have re-iterated my main questions at the end. I have no proper audio output for my desktop/laptop, except for my headphones (Audio Technica ATH-M50x). My laptop (MSI GE72 6QF) has integrated loudspeakers, but as expected they aren't great. Therefore I mainly use my headphones.

I have decent pair of loudspeakers which I built (CT 230 from www.lautsprechershop.de) so I would like to be able to use them, however I have a no amp to power them. I have tried to build one, but have failed multiple times so it's time to buy one.

I'm currently looking at the Onkyo A-9010 and Marantz PM6006. The main difference is that the Marantz has a built-in DAC, while the Onkyo doesn't. My current DACs are in the form of integrated sound cards in my desktop and laptop, which is why I'm leaning towards to Marantz.

If I would get the Marantz I would still need to get a digital signal into the amp (optical or coaxial). This is simple for my desktop as it has an optical output. My laptop doesn't have one, which is why I'm looking at a Behringer UCA222.

Now for the main reason for this post. I'm not sure how the Behringer UCA222 works. I know that it can be used for recording (sending a signal into a PC) as that seems to be it's main use. However, can it be used to send a signal from my laptop using the USB into the Marantz amp via it's optical output? This should keep the signal digital until it reaches the amp and it's superior (at least I'm assuming that it is) DAC.

An added bonus of the Behringer is that it has a headphone output. I broke the tip of my old headphones in my laptop jack, which broke my laptop audio jack (it still works but has difficulty detecting my headphones). Yes, I know that I'm an idiot but nothing can be done about it now and it can be fixed (the guy in my local shop sent the laptop away for a while but ended up not being able to find a replacement for the MSI jack so he couldn't repair it). So would I be able to use the Behringer as a portable interface between my laptop (via USB) and my headphones? My headphones have 38 Ω impedance so I don't need an amp for them (I normally have my volume at 10 to 20 out of 100 when using them without an amp).

My main questions:
Would I be able to use a Behringer UCA222 to convert a digital signal from the USB (music coming form my laptop) into it's optical output to be connected to a Marantz PM6006 amp?

Can the Behringer UCA222 also convert form USB to headphone output?

If I get the Onkyo A-9010 instead can you advise a decent DAC as it would be a shame to use my laptop's/desktop's ones?

Solution
1. Yes
2. Yes but the sound would likely be better using the DAC and headphone amp in the Marantz.
3. If you get the Onkyo then you should get a USB DAC that would not need the Behringer. Which DAC depends on your budget. Audioquest, Meridian, Cambridge Audio, Teac Reference, M2tech, & Schitt are a few.
If you go for an analog only integrated amp then you can look for used ones and add the DAC you like to it.
1. Yes
2. Yes but the sound would likely be better using the DAC and headphone amp in the Marantz.
3. If you get the Onkyo then you should get a USB DAC that would not need the Behringer. Which DAC depends on your budget. Audioquest, Meridian, Cambridge Audio, Teac Reference, M2tech, & Schitt are a few.
If you go for an analog only integrated amp then you can look for used ones and add the DAC you like to it.

Solution

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

Thanks. I think that I will go for the Marantz amp then.

As for using the Behringer on it's own for my laptop, I would just do that when I'm away from home. Otherwise yes, I would use the output from the amp.