internal vs external modem

WarriorLite

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Hi

I want to buy a tablet which is probably unknown to most of you, overmax quattor. It is going to be my first tablet ever.

I have recently read on the net something which I would like someone to confirm, namely that when external usb modem is used, it requires much more messing around in terms of initial configuration, like rooting the android, which seems serious to me..

Is it true that the system must be rooted unlike with internal modem?

Also I heard that later the connecting procedure is also more complicated. Is it common in tablets, or just at best true in this particular case?

WarriorLite

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Yes, but I meant a modem for situations when I go outdoors. I have read that in such cases it is portable router that could do, but I wanted to make use of the device that I already have. If it is too complicated to do it (I heard it would be necessary to root android), I think a tablet with internal modem is the way to go.

WarriorLite

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
No, just for internet browsing on the tablet. When at home, it can use the router, when in cafes, hotspot wifi, but not in client companies. There I would make use of the tablet's access to its own internet.

jaguarskx

Champion
As Alec Mowat stated, you can use your smartphone to create a hotspot which your tablet can then use to surf the web. Of course that assumes:

1. You have a smartphone with hotspot capabilities.
2. That ability is activated on the phone. Some carriers do not allow you to use hotspot wifi unless you pay a monthly fee which also increases your total monthly bandwidth, I believe.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Android Tablets 3
S Android Tablets 0
SongmakersCry Android Tablets 2
F Android Tablets 3
M Android Tablets 4
kdsdata Android Tablets 1
P Android Tablets 2
R Android Tablets 1
A Android Tablets 1
G Android Tablets 1
A Android Tablets 1