Internet at work suddenly slow on laptop

briko3

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018
I have an HP laptop that is about 1.5 years old and is running Windows 10. I have always gotten good internet speeds at home and work (home on Wifi and work on Wifi or Wired, but I usually have it wired) All of a sudden, my internet at work slowed down to a crawl. The speedtests show it is 100 down and 5 up, but loading webpages, etc. is frustratingly slow.
It seemed to change when my computer updated to the "creators edition" of Windows back in Nov, so I rolled it back...no difference. I had also installed F-secure around that time, so I uninstalled that...no difference.
Any ideas of what could cause this?

Solution
OK, I figured I would write what worked since no one ended up responding in case someone else had the same problem. I spent 2 months trying to figure this out. I checked different offices in the building, got Spectrum to change out the router/modem, got them to install a line amplifier, uninstalled program I didn't need, ran countless virus scans, turned off services I thought might use internet, etc., etc., etc.
I was the power cord. I kid you not. When going to other people's offices and plugging up to their wall, it was no issue. I assumed wifi worked better as well because I was closer to the source. Then I finally realized the only difference is that I plug into a monitor in my office and plug up my AC power source...

briko3

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018
OK, I figured I would write what worked since no one ended up responding in case someone else had the same problem. I spent 2 months trying to figure this out. I checked different offices in the building, got Spectrum to change out the router/modem, got them to install a line amplifier, uninstalled program I didn't need, ran countless virus scans, turned off services I thought might use internet, etc., etc., etc.
I was the power cord. I kid you not. When going to other people's offices and plugging up to their wall, it was no issue. I assumed wifi worked better as well because I was closer to the source. Then I finally realized the only difference is that I plug into a monitor in my office and plug up my AC power source. Unplugged it worked, plugged up it was slow again. My power adapter from home works like a charm.
It was a lot of work for a simple solution, but I never would have thought it would have been the cause. Good luck if you're running into the same issue. Just unplug, restart and see what happens.

Solution