Internet Detox Center Opens Near Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Chatting with your friends via text message is considered an internet addiction? This is a bad thing? "Stop talking to your friends so often." What does "actually talking" mean?

Please spend $14,500 so we can cure you of the problem you have of chatting with your friends too often.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
So based on their own definition of what a addiction is, any hobby is a addiction. So watching TV, reading books, driving, and even work is a addiction.

Rofl... Please everyone, LAUGH AT THEM!

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
I'm sorry, but I see nothing wrong with "large" amounts of time spent on the internet. By large I mean enough that you could be called a bit of a nerd, but nowhere near quit-your-job amounts.

Instead of going somewhere with friends, you can sit around and relax. Same interactions you'd have on a golf course, just without the club or the bill. That's not to say you should completely replace it, but that it's not a bad alternative. You can talk to strangers and meet new people just like at the mall. Sure there are the jerks, but so-what? On the internet you have the shield of anonymity, meaning you're much more likely to act like your true-self. They might not act like that at the mall, but if they're like that deep-down do you want to be friends with them anyway? People on the internet exist without age, skin color, nationality, or religion. You're judged by your words and actions, not stereotypical bias. Is the internet really such a bad thing to be addicted to?

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I mean there IS a difference between text and using the web all the time, and playing a MMO so much because you have a addictive personality and/or weak willpower.

Bah, like I said, LAUGH AT THEM. This is riduclous. I mean over $14,000. WTF, I can understand spending that much for gambling, but gaming and text? Wow, that would be half to a quarter of the average's American yearly salary probably right there. Yea it's SOOO worth it to stop my "gaming addiction."

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]So watching TV, reading books, driving, and even work is a addiction.[/citation]
Yeah, in that case I sure know a lot of addicts. Count me in too.

My wife used to give me crap sometimes about always being on the computer. I told her it's no different than somebody who comes home and sits in front of the TV all evening (like her parents, or her for that matter), it's just that I don't like much of the junk that's on TV anymore. On the net I can check out things that I actually have an interest in, on TV I have to wait and hope somebody puts something on the air that is interesting enough to suffer through. Also I can watch TV on my computer any time I want, so if it wasn't for my TV watching wife I would tell the cable company to piss off in a second.

G

Like anything else, moderation is the key. If other aspects of your personal life are suffering due to too much time on the PC, then you probably need to make some changes. I agree with FSXFan, though. It's really no different than sitting in front of the TV. After working all day and doing my workout, I find it relaxing to come home and browse some interesting web sites. It also depends on the individual. When I was single, I would think nothing of spending the entire weekend playing Diablo 2, eating and going out to the clubs. :)

gmcboot

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Developed by Dr. Hilarie Cash, PhD. of Internet and Computer Addiction Services.

This guy got his PHd for a Devry Reject School. 14.5K... I think if you go here and pay that, it shows you addicted to stupidity.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Yeah, $14K to beat an addiction that costs less than $100 month ($50 to $60 for Internet access, $16 for MMORPG access, plus a little left over for misc Internet expenses). Assuming you don't give up the Internet entirely, but just the gaming addiction, then you'd save around $200 a year. So in just 70 years, the camp will have paid for itself!

Seriously, though. If they think people are addicted now, just wait until we have some sort of direct neural interface with full sensory feedback. You really will have people plugging in and never coming back to reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.