Internet explorer encountered a problem and needs to close

k3v1n_123

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
hey guys i recently did a repair install of windows xp home sp3 because of the activation loop issue. all went well until i started the program updates for internet explorer. it downloaded a few things then told me to restart, but after restarting, i click on internet explorer to resume the updating and it says that it encounters a problem and needs to close. the module is urlmon.dll and theres a bunch of other numbers when i click on the "click here" for the issue. any idea on why this happening? thanks in advance.

k3v1n_123

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
hey aford10 thanks for responding to yet another one of my questions. i still havent found a fix for my activation problem so ill just do a full reinstall. i have IE 6 i think because of the repair install i did earlier it removed the latest IE. how would you go about reinstalling IE? thanks again

k3v1n_123

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
most of the steps dont apply because i cant even get internet explorer to open. i cant even open the system file checker. when i type in sfc /scannow in the run box the command box opens for a split second and closes again.

k3v1n_123

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
after installing IE 7 i restarted the computer and now when i try to open IE it doesnt even have a message it just does nothing. same with when i try to open windows update from the start menu.

k3v1n_123

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
i might as well just give up on this problem. i never use IE anyways only firefox. i only needed IE so that i can update to the latest service pack (i have sp2). should i even bother to update to sp3 or should i just leave my computer as sp2?