oferg

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I don't know if this is the place for this question, but I'll go for it.

Websites like facebook, twitter and so on and so forth, have big storage space as there servers. Why does it need to be so big?
If I (I being a company not a home user for this example) have a website, except for the content I put in, what other information is stored on my server?

Hope someone could explain that to me.
Thanks.

G

This topic has been moved from the section Networking to section Applications by Grumpy9117

Ijack

Distinguished
Take Facebook, for example. How many users do you think that it has? And how much data do you think each of those users has entered? And where is that data going to be stored?

oferg

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
How much indeed. So basically, if my (me being the company, again) web site has only web pages, some photos and sql files for costumer registration, it shouldn't require too much space, right?

Ijack

Distinguished
No, that's not going to take up much space. And it's pretty easy to estimate how much space you need. Unless you become as successful as Facebook the sql database shouldn't require a lot of storage.

oferg

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
But there aren't any additional files that are being added to my storage due to the fact that it's connected to the web (temporary stuff or I don't know what)?

Ijack

Distinguished
Not unless you specifically allow uploads of material (as Facebook and Twitter do). So, for example, if you run a forum on your site then data will be added. But it would have to be very successful for this to amount to a significant amount of storage.