iOS Has Half the Market Share of Mac OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.

guyjones

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
I don't know if you can really compare desktop OS market share to mobile OS market share; it's sort of apples and oranges. There's no denying that what Apple has achieved with its iOS devices is impressive. The company has gained a lot of market share in a short amount of time with some well-designed devices, a capable OS and intuitive functionality. And it's clear that Microsoft is not going to dominate the mobile space the way it dominated the desktop in the 80's and 90's. Despite its deep pockets, brand awareness and resources, the company has stumbled badly with its mobile strategy, with Ballmer initially haughtily rejecting the idea of the company building its own phones and then turning around 180 degrees and aligning with Nokia in what was essentially a de facto acquisition of the latter company. Microsoft will be lucky to end up with 15% market share in a few years, which would be a feat in itself, considering where they are starting from.

Look, wherever one's computing allegiances lie, when all is said and done, all this competition between iOS, Android, Windows Phone and the other offerings is great for the consumer. We get better products at a cheaper prices, reap the fruits of innovation, with more variety of devices to choose from. So, let's savor the fact that the race for mobile dominance is going to be a true multi-candidate competition.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
The only thing I see in the OS X Lion (iOS on steroids) is trim support, other than that Apple can keep Lion. My Snow Leopard is working just fine. Plus the fact Apple expects me to do a 4 Gb download from the app store for it, No DVD available, I say FU Apple.
Apple is heading down a path I don't like (iOS and app store for everyone) and when my Macbook gives up the ghost one day it's time to go back to Ubuntu.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]guyjones[/nom]I don't know if you can really compare desktop OS market share to mobile OS market share; it's sort of apples and oranges. There's no denying that what Apple has achieved with its iOS devices is impressive. The company has gained a lot of market share in a short amount of time with some well-designed devices, a capable OS and intuitive functionality. And it's clear that Microsoft is not going to dominate the mobile space the way it dominated the desktop in the 80's and 90's. Despite its deep pockets, brand awareness and resources, the company has stumbled badly with its mobile strategy, with Ballmer initially haughtily rejecting the idea of the company building its own phones and then turning around 180 degrees and aligning with Nokia in what was essentially a de facto acquisition of the latter company. Microsoft will be lucky to end up with 15% market share in a few years, which would be a feat in itself, considering where they are starting from.Look, wherever one's computing allegiances lie, when all is said and done, all this competition between iOS, Android, Windows Phone and the other offerings is great for the consumer. We get better products at a cheaper prices, reap the fruits of innovation, with more variety of devices to choose from. So, let's savor the fact that the race for mobile dominance is going to be a true multi-candidate competition.[/citation]

don't count microsoft out. the one thing they do good is play catch up. when they arent number 1, they innovate more than any other company, weather you like the innovations or not is another question (think xbox live, and the ui for xbox).

i can see them kicking ios a$$ in less than 1 year, on a software side, on people using it, it will take about 2 years to really see those numbers due to contracts and iphone bs. if windows 8 can relay interface with everything, than i would have to lean towards windows phone, even over an established app store.

and lastly, the reason windows 7 isnt picking up as much as people leaving xp or vista is simple, we see windows 8. if we have to re learn an os, may as well go linux if you can, at least when that changes the way the os feels stays the same, and even if it changes, you can bet your a$$ you can mod it back exactly how you want it.

G

@molo9000
>"Why is Android market so low? Less than 30% of iOS market share."

Because iOS has a far larger installed base than Android. In terms of installed base Apple is far ahead of Android with 200 million iOS devices sold versus only 100 million Android as confirmed by ComScore who reported in April that *active* iOS devices outnumber Android devices by 59% in the USA and by 116% in Europe.

-Mart

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]mrrtmrrt[/nom]@molo9000>"Why is Android market so low? Less than 30% of iOS market share."Because iOS has a far larger installed base than Android. In terms of installed base Apple is far ahead of Android with 200 million iOS devices sold versus only 100 million Android as confirmed by ComScore who reported in April that *active* iOS devices outnumber Android devices by 59% in the USA and by 116% in Europe.-Mart[/citation]

iOS is also used on the iPhone, iPad and iPod....compared to Android being used on smartphones and failing tablet models. This is partially why they're using the OS market as a whole and not the "smartphone market"...as Apple reports total iOS activations and not iPhone activations to skew the numbers. While the iPhone is losing momentum, albeit rather slowly, iPad sales don't seem to be experiencing this yet and may help to keep Apple ahead of Android....which, if other Android tablets are anything like mine, I can understand exactly why the tablet sales are so poor. The only thing my Android tablet can do, is browse the web...and that only lasts 15-20mins before Android dumps my WiFi connection, which requires a reboot to fix. I've actually come to prefer my KinTwoM for browsing the web from my couch as it can maintain a connection as long as I need it to.

BTW, and this is strictly my opinion (read as: Android fanboys need not waste anyone's time replying as it'll only prove their own stupidity), Android 2.2 is the worst OS I've ever dealt with. My Android tablets takes, on average, 5mins to load the OS....which then takes another 5mins to initialize the WiFi chipset and establish a connection. Within 20mins, it completely drops the WiFi connection....at least according to the tablet as my router says otherwise. From that point, I have another 10-15mins before Android crashes..... I'm glad my phone runs Windows Mobile, cuz if it crashed like Blackberry OS or like I've seen from Android 2.2....I'd be throwing it through the front window of the Verizon store for resurrecting it.

On another note....the KinTwoM, is the best cellphone I've ever owned. It doesn't do anything "fancy"....it just does what it's supposed to do with no issues of any sort.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
BTW, and this is strictly my opinion (read as: Android fanboys need not waste anyone's time replying as it'll only prove their own stupidity), Android 2.2 is the worst OS I've ever dealt with. My Android tablets takes, on average, 5mins to load the OS....which then takes another 5mins to initialize the WiFi chipset and establish a connection. Within 20mins, it completely drops the WiFi connection....at least according to the tablet as my router says otherwise. From that point, I have another 10-15mins before Android crashes..... I'm glad my phone runs Windows Mobile, cuz if it crashed like Blackberry OS or like I've seen from Android 2.2....I'd be throwing it through the front window of the Verizon store for resurrecting it.

First off, you really can't express an opinion and then expect to call anyone who counters or give their own opinion stupid, that is being stupid all by itself. Second, you should get your tablet checked cause that is not normal behavior for any Android OS (or any modern OS at all really). Hardware faults can cause what you are experiencing, as well as a badly coded program, but the base OS doesn't act that way, my cheap Chinese knock off tablet with an ARM11 CPU running at 800MHz loads up Android 2.2 in less then 5 min and has WiFi connected by then as well.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
the results are based on web usage NetApplications was able to capture. what are they capturing? from where? how? i have no clue

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
>Implying they share the same market.

iOS is a smartphone OS for the iPad, which is merely an over-sized iPhone. OSX, love it or hate it, is a real operating system for grown-ups who want to do more with their computer than they can with an overhyped toy.

- And as far as I can tell that is all iOS and Android tablets are for the moment. Expensive toys.

emjayy

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
The whole thing sounds flawed to me. I don't think we can continue to use browser usage data to extrapolate OS market share values.

In the past, we had 3 major OSes and each OS was generally used without significant overlap (in other words, the number of persons using more than one was quite small compared to the overall market size). Because of the limited overlap between users and the fact that the desktop has long enjoyed the privilege of being the only device used by the very vast majority to access the web, OS information from browser data was usable to estimate the relative OS market share values. The inclusion of mobile OSes destroys that, because each user of Android or iOS is also the owner and user of a desktop running at least one of the 3 major desktop OSes. Each user of Android or iOS is now dividing his/her Internet access time between the mobile and the desktop - and the desktop may, in some cases, be relegated in some households to mainly running offline tasks as the mobile takes over as the primary Internet device.

Therefore, the desktop loses WEB USAGE SHARE thanks to inclusion of mobile web browsing into web users' browsing habits, but the web usage share lost by the desktop is always going to be significantly larger than the OS market share lost by the desktop. It means that once mobile data is included, all OS market share extrapolations are inaccurate because the browser usage data can no longer reflect real desktop OS usage. One OS (mobile) inevitably affects online usage of the other (desktop) because the mobile users are also desktop users. Therefore, you can't claim to know iOS market share relative to desktop market share by using web browser data.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]BTW, and this is strictly my opinion (read as: Android fanboys need not waste anyone's time replying as it'll only prove their own stupidity), Android 2.2 is the worst OS I've ever dealt with. My Android tablets takes, on average, 5mins to load the OS....which then takes another 5mins to initialize the WiFi chipset and establish a connection. Within 20mins, it completely drops the WiFi connection....at least according to the tablet as my router says otherwise. From that point, I have another 10-15mins before Android crashes..... I'm glad my phone runs Windows Mobile, cuz if it crashed like Blackberry OS or like I've seen from Android 2.2....I'd be throwing it through the front window of the Verizon store for resurrecting it.[/citation]
Riiiiight...couldnt possibly be a hardware fault or anything could it, defo the OS.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]... if other Android tablets are anything like mine ... Android 2.2 is the worst OS I've ever dealt with. My Android tablets takes, on average, 5mins to load the OS...[/citation]

I cut out the rest of your whining. I have one single question. Why the hell did you buy an android 2.2 tablet? Would you buy an iOs macbook, or a windows XP phone? Android 2.2 is for phones, not tablets. I know some jump the gun manufacturers put it on tablets, but they should have waited, and so should have you.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I see the Windows numbers very curious... I thougth at this time Windows 7 had much more share... It seems the market is still stucked on Windows XP probably because W7 isn't compatible with many applications and Windows XP cost a lot of money and there is no reason for many people and companies to buy another Windows again.
I don't buy the idea that Windows 8 is the reason in the last years to stop W7 to replace Windows XP... probably the market will react the same way: compatibility assurance and cost issues. And also an increasing share of the tablets... many people and companies will shift from laptop and PC to tablet and smartphones in the next few years.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]iOS is also used on the iPhone, iPad and iPod....compared to Android being used on smartphones and failing tablet models. This is partially why they're using the OS market as a whole and not the "smartphone market"...as Apple reports total iOS activations and not iPhone activations to skew the numbers. While the iPhone is losing momentum, albeit rather slowly, iPad sales don't seem to be experiencing this yet and may help to keep Apple ahead of Android....which, if other Android tablets are anything like mine, I can understand exactly why the tablet sales are so poor. The only thing my Android tablet can do, is browse the web...and that only lasts 15-20mins before Android dumps my WiFi connection, which requires a reboot to fix. I've actually come to prefer my KinTwoM for browsing the web from my couch as it can maintain a connection as long as I need it to.BTW, and this is strictly my opinion (read as: Android fanboys need not waste anyone's time replying as it'll only prove their own stupidity), Android 2.2 is the worst OS I've ever dealt with. My Android tablets takes, on average, 5mins to load the OS....which then takes another 5mins to initialize the WiFi chipset and establish a connection. Within 20mins, it completely drops the WiFi connection....at least according to the tablet as my router says otherwise. From that point, I have another 10-15mins before Android crashes..... I'm glad my phone runs Windows Mobile, cuz if it crashed like Blackberry OS or like I've seen from Android 2.2....I'd be throwing it through the front window of the Verizon store for resurrecting it.On another note....the KinTwoM, is the best cellphone I've ever owned. It doesn't do anything "fancy"....it just does what it's supposed to do with no issues of any sort.[/citation]

I'll keep this brief since you are clearly into that; my 2.2 phone runs *aces*, boots up in < 30 seconds and holds wi-fi for days. Good for you that your OS experience is apparently WinMo on a Kin, Android 2.2 on a cheap knock off tablet with god knows what inside, and probably some sort of windows XP computer that you do work on. If you want my advice, stick with Windows if you find Android "the worst" of the three. It's where you belong.

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]powerbaselx[/nom]I see the Windows numbers very curious... I thougth at this time Windows 7 had much more share... It seems the market is still stucked on Windows XP probably because W7 isn't compatible with many applications[/citation]

Complete myth, Windows 7 has outstanding backwards compatibility. For really old stuff it is actually better than either XP or Vista. You have to be running some very spooky software to break win7 compatibility. Organisations just don't like change (and the costs of validating new software and retraining the workforce etc) so lots of businesses are sill downgrading new computers to XP. The only exception I have come across is some hideous web interface radiology software which GE-systems sold to British hospitals which for some ungodly reason can *only* function on IE6 - which means they are now stuck with XP. Like I said... has to be pretty spooky software if it isn't win7 compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.