iPad Getting Schooled, Hospitalized and POS'ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
I like how these exact pieces of hardware have been around for over a decade, and people only start noticing them when Apple makes one.

Saljen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
lol, those medical workers will be a bit surprised when the ipad doesnt quite meet the 10 hour battery life when running Citrix virtual desktop software.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]Because they spend oodles of money on marketing. How many TV commercials have you seen by Asus?[/citation]

True, true; you do have a valid point. However, that doesn't mean that they didn't have knowledge of their existence. Lots of large corporations use technology that the average consumer doesn't know exists.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Wow! A 10% discount.. what a deal! So Apple is only charging them for ~$179* over manufacturing cost.

Yes, I know Apple is a business and I'm a fan of capitalism, but considering the difference between mfg cost and retail I don't think 10% is exactly news. The ratio gets much worse with the 32GB and 64GB models. Given the economy maybe Apple could offer our schools one product without over-charging for the hardware... then again, maybe not.

*Assuming base 16GB model @ $270.50

kajohn10

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]True, true; you do have a valid point. However, that doesn't mean that they didn't have knowledge of their existence. Lots of large corporations use technology that the average consumer doesn't know exists.[/citation]
Tis true. I had the pleasure of setting up a POMX (point of maintenance) architecture that used multiple Toshiba touch-screen tablets (think it was toshiba), that also included voice recognition, so maintainers could work with both hands, and the data is stored and forwarded to a central database.
This is nothing new, the ipad doesnt make it simpler, nor cheaper than it was before.

dtm4trix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
well they really didn't go into much detail with this app. How does it route the tickets to the bar and to the kitchen? Handhelds have been used in restaurants for years and its been my experience that they are not as convenient as they might seem. Maybe the technology has improved but there are many issues that go into making a POS system work properly.

randomizer

Distinguished
Ok, who read the last part of the title as something different to point-of-sale? Admit it :)

I've heard of some doctors using these for displaying X-rays as well. That's pretty nifty. I'd never have thought of using a tablet for that but I suppose it's more convenient than carrying around those massive sheets and holding them up to a light.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]I've heard of some doctors using these for displaying X-rays as well. That's pretty nifty. I'd never have thought of using a tablet for that but I suppose it's more convenient than carrying around those massive sheets and holding them up to a light.[/citation]

Now that seems like a good idea to me. That way you have a nice, portable x-ray, and you can display multiple images on one small screen. Brilliant :)

omikron48

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
LOL Read the title wrong.

Thought it was "iPad Getting Schooled (taught a lesson), Hospitalized (sent to the hospital) and POS'ed (do I even need to bother?)...

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
[citation][nom]kajohn10[/nom]Tis true. I had the pleasure of setting up a POMX (point of maintenance) architecture that used multiple Toshiba touch-screen tablets (think it was toshiba), that also included voice recognition, so maintainers could work with both hands, and the data is stored and forwarded to a central database.This is nothing new, the ipad doesnt make it simpler, nor cheaper than it was before.[/citation]

Apple need to pay for their advertising somehow

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]I like how these exact pieces of hardware have been around for over a decade, and people only start noticing them when Apple makes one.[/citation]

NO they were not.
If youread what people like about ti you will find out that simplicity of the device, the portability and long battery life is the most important thing.

Old tablets were heavier, with 4 to max 5 hours of battery life with Full blown OS....

At this price range currently Apple is a a winner, and that is the reason that HP gave up. They'll probably come back with some kind of Palm OS redesigned for tablets use and try to compete with Apple..

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]I like how these exact pieces of hardware have been around for over a decade, and people only start noticing them when Apple makes one.[/citation]

True the have been around for yrs but the cost was $20,000 for a Point of sale system compared to $ 2,000

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
"Schools are now looking to use the iPad as a replacement for textbooks and old-fashioned notebooks. Given that electronic textbooks cost around a third of printed versions, schools looking to cut back on costs using the iPad."

Teacher: "Why haven't you done you homework?"
Student: "My iPad's battery has run out of juice last night (while I was watching pron)"

djtronika

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009

so basically all of the previous tablets sucked then? you all have to realize the iPad won many people over. end of story. get over it. boo hoo. it will only help all of us techies out in the end. better tablets will come out and then all of you can go "haha!! my tablet pwns yours!!!!". course, apple will already be on version 3 of theirs, but, oh well, you tried.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I just have no use for this or any tablet. As I sit here in front of 24" lcd, Core i7 goodness on a cushy office chair I can't think of a single personal use for iPad???? I can see it as a "gadget" thing that might be cool, but I'm not much for playing.

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010

And what planet do you live on? The hardware in an iPad hasnt been around for decades. Perhaps the idea of a touch screen has been around, and even some examples may have been around for a decade, but to say a quote like this is just ignorant.

Im not saying Apple invented everything in the iPad, but they where the first ones to put it all in an working tablet device, write on OS that was designed to run on with a touch interface, put it in a box and ship it and market it.

You can make all the excuses you want but NO ONE, else has achieved this before. There have been attempts, but to be successful you need ALL of the parts above, not just hardware with great specs that doesnt really work! (HP Slate, Microsoft Courier)

I also love how people look at the estimated hardware costs to build an iPad and forget how many millions of man hours where invested in R&D to get to the point of shipping a device. That number is unknown, and is probably a HUGE cost that has to be amortized back on each device thats shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.