iPad Now Accounts For More Internet Traffic Than Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

And 1 is greater than 2 - for extremely small values of 2.

Since Android Linux has a .73% share of monitored browser hits and "Linux" has .91%, the Linux kernel obviously powers far more browser platforms than the iPad's mere .92%. Of course, that wouldn't get the sensational headline, right?

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
So, I can run native Linux apps on my android phone/tab? Wait, no I can't-- because Android ISN'T Linux, it is just based off of the Linux kernel.

G

Wikipedia reports that it has more users visiting from Ubuntu linux alone than the Ipad. Get your facts from a reputable and relevant source next time!

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
user00000- Link? When is their data from? Granted, I don't know where "NetApplications" gets their data, but I'm assuming it is from traffic to more than one particular website. I'd have to guess that provides mroe accurate statistics than just using wikipedia's traffic.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]user00000[/nom]Wikipedia reports that it has more users visiting from Ubuntu linux alone than the Ipad. Get your facts from a reputable and relevant source next time![/citation]
Wikipedia is useless for the Apple faithful. If it didn't come from the mouth of Steve Jobs, it isn't fact.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Linux will never be main stream the only people who think that are delusional. Too many kernels and not enough centralized development which has been the problem with Linux since day one.[/citation]

if linux had a reliable dx9-11 emulation, i would run it instead of windows in a heart beat... i mean, if i want to play games, i need windows, but everything else can be done in linux better, i just dont dual boot out of convenience, and if windows 8 has any say, id rather learn linux than that pos.

emjayy

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
The iPad is dominating the tablet market....because the tablet market is still merely a niche market whose audience is limited to a few affluent countries. If tablets become truly globally adopted, its growth will be fueled primarily by Linux-based OSes such as Android. Having a popular device gets you mind share and the choice of any niche you desire. But to dominate in the area of global market share, you have to go beyond just having a popular device - You have to provide hardware variety and a variety of price points. That's what Nokia, Blackberry and the makers of Android handsets are doing to grow or maintain global market share. Apple's in the business of high priced products - they market them to everyone but their products are largely affordable only to a minority with deep pockets. And that's why iOS is destined to slip and slide downward as the market for these types of devices expands beyond the wealthiest buyers due to falling hardware prices.

At some point in the near future, iPad web browsing share will peak and then begin to fall as alternative tablets provide the pricing and variety that will be needed to expand the tablet ecosystem to the less affluent majority that makes up the bulk of the Internet population today.

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]So, I can run native Linux apps on my android phone/tab? Wait, no I can't-- because Android ISN'T Linux, it is just based off of the Linux kernel.[/citation]

And linux isn't linux either, it is the GNU operating system with the linux kernel. /RMS rant

;-)

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
On Linux I can set up a virtual router that filters out any browser's user agent. Then every site I visit won't know if I run Ubuntu, Fedora or Arch, and won't know if I use Firefox, Chrome or Konqueror.

Suck that, lame statisticians !

Tho I have to admit right now I'm broadcasting "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20110429 Firefox/4.0.1" (see http://whatsmyuseragent.com).

PS: Would also help security in case a website was designed to trigger a certain exploit based on the browser you use.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Actually scratch that. Instead of a virtual router (inside your computer that actually relays traffic), you could get the "User Agent Switcher" add-on for Firefox ! Hahaha. Now I'm broadcasting "If you are reading this then you can suck my balls."

Bitches.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]emjayy[/nom]Apple's in the business of high priced products - they market them to everyone but their products are largely affordable only to a minority with deep pockets.[/citation]

I don't think the pocket dept of the consumer that will the downfall, for instance in England most people who have debts and are rated poor were more likely to have an iphone, while the wealthy people were more likely to have a android or black berry (more purchased through research and need, not just price like those looking to purchase status items).

I think the downfall will rather be the lack possibility to run already familiar and purchased software, since 90% of the worlds computers are run by windows - I think the market share slip you predict will come from Windows users getting Windows x86 based tablets to run their favorite software there rather than get stuck in a pen with limited choices.

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
The iPad has 0.92% share of all browsing.

...When they say web traffic, they really do just mean web browser traffic too. Look beyond what's going through port 80 and you will see a *very* different picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.