iPad Pro 2020 vs Microsoft Surface Pro 7: Which laptop replacement is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2020
I was considering upgrading my iPad Pro to the new 2020 version. Love the colors, display, and mobility. I had read it could possibly have a dual os, ios and os, great! Now it could really compete with the Surface. But this is not the case, as the PRO in iPad Pro is not it’s namesake. What pro software can it import (avoiding the never ending subscription costs), unabbreviated!? I‘m not a fan of the Windows platform, which makes the Surface not attractive, and it‘s display is subpar for my photo editing and other graphics taste. The Tom’s Guide comparison didn’t mention the accessibility of pro software for either device, as I think pro software is important in any pro device.

May 15, 2020
The iPad is not comparable to the Surface Pro. It is an apples to orange. If the only thing you have to do is email and stream videos, than go for it and buy a IPad. If you use your electronic device for anything else (i.e. business reasons) then get a surface. I have both and NEVER use the iPad. The surface is far more functional and runs as smooth as any IPad I have ever owned. The comparison is an insult to the surface.

Aug 19, 2020
Can we please stop seeing these idiotic comparisons? I understand the appeal of the Apple iPad Pro and even the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 Plus - they are light weight, easy to use, and have excellent battery life. However, THEY ARE NOT LAPTOP REPLACEMENTS! Laptop were first and foremost business (professional) machines that became appealing to average consumers as laptop prices got cheaper. Even though some consumers bought laptop who really did not need them in order to watch videos and browse the internet, that did not change the actual purpose of a laptop or what people ultimately expect from a laptop; the ability to run business and school related (professional) applications! If a tablet cannot run professional applications, IT IS NOT A LAPTOP REPLACEMENT! It doesn't matter how pretty the screen is, how light the tablet is, how much battery power it has, or how high it scores in a (synthetic) benchmark, if it can't run the applications you need it is worthless. It's like owning a beautiful, well built car that you can't drive on the busy streets or the highway and can only make left turns.

Case in point, I decided to go back to school to be an engineer after leaving the military. I needed a tablet I could take notes on and use for school work. My school requires me to use applications like MATLAB, SolidWorks, OpenRocket, Athena Vortex Lattice, and XFOIL, to name a few. The MATLAB application for iPadOS and Android is very limited (crappy), and there are no versions of the other software for iPadOS and Android. However, I can run all of these applications on my Surface Pro. I was required to take an electronics laboratory that used a myDAQ analyzer. I was able to install the application suite for the myDAQ on my Surface Pro, then hook the myDAQ up to my Surface Pro via the USB-A port. You can't do any of that with an iPad Pro! If I had spent $1200 on an iPad Pro instead of the Surface Pro, I would have had to fork out another $800-1200 on a "real" laptop just to get my school work done.

<<All caps portion removed. There is no need to yell to make your point.>>

Status
Not open for further replies.