Question iPhone 12 Pro Issue (Overheating, Slow)

Nov 28, 2022
Not sure if I'm in the right place to ask this question but I got some serious issue with my phone and I have no clue what's wrong with it.

In the middle of October something must've happened to my phone because this issue started when I woke up in the morning, like it was a sudden change, not overtime. It was really hot when I woke up, so I took it off the charger and it was still hot even while using it, just not as hot as it would be while charging. I gave it about two days to see if it would change, but that morning I woke up with my phone on the charger and there was a temperature warning (couldn't use the phone until it cools down).

I've basically suffered with this issue over the past 2 months. I wouldn't even be using my phone, and I made sure no apps were running in the background, and the phone would still be hot. The battery percentage would slowly go down when I wasn't even using my phone. I've been checking the battery usage graph in my settings to see which apps take up the most space while the battery drains without the screen being on, and it would be 55% to 45% with 4 minutes of background activity over the course of about 30 minutes. I would wake up without having my phone on the charger, and my phone would be dead because of this issue. I turn my phone back on to see my battery usage and there's nothing running in the background in the past 7 hours when checking settings. I would often play some shit like Wordscapes to pass time if I'm ever bored. This would clock my phone into overdrive and it would get so hot it runs at like 10 FPS whenever swiping, or opening / closing apps.(Obviously this heat results in the phone being slow. The phone is only slow when it's incredibly hot.)

I was directed to Asurion by Verizon (after research, Asurion sucks so I never went there). I decided to get a new battery, and the issue still exists. My phone is up to date as well.

I'm not sure if it's a hardware issue, CPU issue, possibly malware (usually Apple is pretty good with this from what I've heard). The only thing I've thought about doing that I haven't done yet is erasing everything off my phone except photos, notes, and contacts.

If anyone has any ideas I should try please throw them at me, I'm not the most tech savvy person.

ASK THE COMMUNITY