Review iPhone 15 Pro Max review: The ultimate upgrade

HyperMatrix

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
A stronger and lighter titanium design, more powerful zoom, blazing A17 Pro chip and smart Action button add up to a near perfect iPhone. But the charging could be faster and digital zoom better.

iPhone 15 Pro Max review: The ultimate upgrade : Read more

@Mark Spoonauer you may want to re-run those Geekbench 6 results. In the past, iPhones have been slower for a little while after the initial hardware setup. Not sure if it's some kind of databasing/indexing/app optimization process that's happening but it's generally what I've seen. I just downloaded and ran Geekbench 6 on a Titanium Blue 512GB Pro Max model and got:

Geekbench 6 Single Core = 2939 (+5.6%)
Geekbench 6 Multi Core = 7396 (+6.5%)

No special cooling/fans/freezer tricks. Just sitting on my mouse pad next to me. Didn't even bother dumping previously opened apps that were sitting in memory. That's a very large difference and not just margin of error. I ran the GPU bench in the app as well as got:

Geekbench 6 GPU Metal Score = 27149
3D Mark Wildlife Unlimited = 15549 (+0.97%)
3D Mark Wildlife Extreme Unlimited = 3410

So GPU score seem to be within margin. I re-ran the Geekbench 6 CPU benchmark about a minute after doing those 3 GPU benches and it still came back with:

Geekbench 6 Single Core = 2957 (+6.2%)
Geekbench 6 Multi Core = 7391 (+6.4%)

So I decided to run 3 of the Geekbench 6 CPU benchmarks back to back without delay to see how much of a drop there would be on subsequent runs due to the accumulated heat.

Geekbench 6 Single Core: 2961, 2936, 2931
Geekbench 6 Multi Core: 7368, 7332, 7334

So after 3 back to back runs, the variance between each run was under 1%. If you re-run the tests and are still scoring 6% lower than me, then that may call for further investigation in a future article.

I just checked PhoneArena and Apple Insider both scored near identical single core scores, though multi-core scores varied at 7288 and 7018 and MacRumors scored within 1-2% on both. So your numbers are lower by quite a bit and we need to find out why.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023
I believe your scores for the Galaxy s23 Ultra are for Geekbench 5 and for the iPhone 15 Pro Max for Geekbench 6.