IPhone 3G: Build It For $173, Sell It For $500 (or More)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Apple been known to sell stuff at high prices and that is their way of doing business. So it's up to the consumer to make wise purchasing decisions based on what they want or the needs. Most of them are "wowed" by it and pay whatever it cost without thinking things through. I guess Apple built their business based on impulse buying.

bachok83

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Please dont forget. What about intellectual properties' fee?

Say, if u have all the chips for all the price listed above, who will integrate them?

Putting things (im not talking about manufacturing cost here) together doesnt cost that much, i know. However, the software+hardware integration is unbeatable at this point.

U can say, Nokia or Samsung can deliver as much features for bla bla price. The fact of the matter, they dont do software, period.

Why do u think ppl love iPod so much? Why didnt Sony MiniDisc (with it's stupid SonicStage software) takes off? Why didnt Zune with it's overcomplicated media player takes off?

Hint: Software and hardware integration.

pilotman28

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Do people then think research and development $$$ grows on trees? Instead of looking at the price of the hardware you have to look at TOC or Total Cost of Ownership. As a company you can't sell that intangible item however what you can do is roll it into the price of the product you produce to have the customer pay a portion of that.

Marketing departments don't produce a product which brings in revenue, the financial department doesn't produce a product which brings in revenue, the production department does! So in making the product you have to roll everything, ALL expenses into your end-user tangible products and make your money there. If a company didn't do this then all would operate at a loss and our economy would be non-existent.

I personally will not be buying an iPhone as I'm one person who can't stand to have fingerprints all over my screen. Instead I'm hoping to replace my Nokia E65 with the upgraded E66. A Nokia slider with built in GPS, 3.2MP camera w/flash, and a long battery life. Unfortunately it's retailing about $500 right now since no carrier is going to be subsidizing it but it'll be mine soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS