iPhone 3G S Pre-Orders All Sold Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Oh dear me. Whatever will I do if I have to wait two or more weeks for my iPhone 3G S? I suppose I could pull out my other cell phone, take a picture or video of myself with a sad face, and do something all iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3G S customers can't and won't be able to do until "later this summer." Send an MMS.

I think after that I will voice dial one of my friends and tell them I have done so. "Hey Paul. Just voice dialed you. Yup all I have to say." Sorry 3g owners.

After that I may get directions to the Alamo Drafthouse via the free turn by turn directions that come with my phone. That sure sounds like a blast.

Hopefully that will take two weeks so that I can finally "upgrade" to a sweet phone such as the 3G S!

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Hanin33[/nom]so apple released a limited run to give the impression of a huge demand? *yawn* next![/citation]

Seems like every company does this with new electronics these days, and then goes 'oh sh!t' when they sellout too quickly leaving them scrambling to make more.

You know it's going to sell big, just mass produce 'em. Don't think the iphone needs any extra pub.

I'm still waiting to see how long it takes for the medical apps to be ported to WebOS before I get a Pre :(

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
when the first batch of products come out from the factory, companies immediately sell them which explains the shortage on release date. earlier they get the cash, the better.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Isn't the whole point of taking pre-orders so you have a gauranteed minimum amount of sales, and can thus ramp-up production accordingly? Not that Apple needed to worry about their new phone rotting on the shelves, the Apple faithful seem to have limitless bank accounts and time to wait in lines.

I wonder how much electronic waste is generated by Apple customers buying a brand new iPhone or iPod every year. Or by throwing out said devices when the internal, non-replaceable battery dies.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
So the iPhone gets an "OMG ITS SOLD OUT" article but the Palm Pre doesn't?

Anyone who knew a new iPhone was coming out knew this was going to happen. This article is comparable to a "The sky is blue: even behind the rain clouds" type article.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Just a bunch of PR shennanigans. Anyone with a brain the size of a bird would even know the "Sold Out" stories are PR campaigns by the rotten Apple itself. The worst thing for any hot product is not to be sold out. Heck look at Ferrari nearly every new model they release is sold out. Average weight time is 16 months if you want a new model Ferrari.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Oh dear me. Whatever will I do if I have to wait two or more weeks for my iPhone 3G S? I suppose I could pull out my other cell phone, take a picture or video of myself with a sad face, and do something all iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3G S customers can't and won't be able to do until "later this summer." Send an MMS. I think after that I will voice dial one of my friends and tell them I have done so. "Hey Paul. Just voice dialed you. Yup all I have to say." Sorry 3g owners. After that I may get directions to the Alamo Drafthouse via the free turn by turn directions that come with my phone. That sure sounds like a blast. Hopefully that will take two weeks so that I can finally "upgrade" to a sweet phone such as the 3G S![/citation]
Thats so odd.. Have I been imaging for the last year that I can use the free SwirlyMMS app to send MMS messages on my iPhone? Have I also been imagining turn by turn directions with the free app xGps too? I must be living in a dream world because I also have voice dialing with Melodis Voice Dialer.. Anything else you want to complain about?

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]Thats so odd.. Have I been imaging for the last year that I can use the free SwirlyMMS app to send MMS messages on my iPhone? Have I also been imagining turn by turn directions with the free app xGps too? I must be living in a dream world because I also have voice dialing with Melodis Voice Dialer.. Anything else you want to complain about?[/citation]

Oh wow! I didn't realize I could walk into an AT&T store and come home with all that functionality!

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]Thats so odd.. Have I been imaging for the last year that I can use the free SwirlyMMS app to send MMS messages on my iPhone? Have I also been imagining turn by turn directions with the free app xGps too? I must be living in a dream world because I also have voice dialing with Melodis Voice Dialer.. Anything else you want to complain about?[/citation]
javascript:%20void(0);
i think you need your sarcasm detector checked out... i thought tayb laid it on pretty thick too.. *shrugs*

war2k9

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I would love to have an iphone, my order will never show up until at&t improve their cell network. I don't want to pay for no bars in more places, limit you on what you can do with your phone (slingbox mobile for iphne)

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I placed mine on Saturday, should have just done it online last week because I was told it would take 7-14 days from the order date to get the phone... Well, I waited 2 years for the iPhone to get better, whats a few more days..

jecht

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Let me just say, I hate Apple and their stupid loyalists. Still, as I needed an email phone for work, at $100 with contract, the iPhone was just the best choice for me. It was a toss-up between the iPhone and the E71x, but in the end the ease of use, features, and large screen tipped me to the dark side. It's the cheapest 'smartphone' AT&T has (yes, E71x is also $100, but thats after a mail-in rebate), it has a very fluid touch interface, email setup is a breeze, and there are a lot of useful apps that don't cost a dime. Once it gets OS 3.0 it will be even better. A lot of people were telling me to wait for the new one, but IMO there aren't really any features the 3GS has that the 3G won't soon have that I was willing to wait and shell out another $100 bucks for. True, Apple promised it would be 2x faster and have longer battery life, but I'll believe that when I see it. In any case the 3G is already good in those areas. All in all, a nice phone at a nice price. The data plan is a little hefty but any smartphone needs one (and my company is paying for my service so I don't mind :p).

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Outside of all the "I don't make enough money to afford one so I'll bash it" iPhone hate I decided I'm going to wait until next summer for the v4 iPhone. My 3G is more than enough for another year.

Enjoy your kick ass Nokias with MMS.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
umm, there is a difference between bashing something cause its too expensive for your average person, and bashing it cause ITS JUST TOO EXPENSIVE! the iTouch in aus is $300, i think a very good price, the iPhone outright is $900... WHY!?

oh yeah, and down with the ppl who seem to have got confused when told 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away' and spend all their time on the apple store just looking for the next random thing they don't need with and apple logo on it to buy!

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I...do...not....under...STAND!

Why would anyone want to buy this thing? First the iPhone 2G, then the iPhone 3G, then the 3G S...it's nothing but a crap phone even compared against the BlackBerry.

Take out the touchscreen, and let's see what happens to the iPhone.

To me, an Apple a day is worse than hell.

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]kiniku[/nom]Outside of all the "I don't make enough money to afford one so I'll bash it" iPhone hate I decided I'm going to wait until next summer for the v4 iPhone. My 3G is more than enough for another year.Enjoy your kick ass Nokias with MMS.[/citation]

Well, 3GS has: a compass, video camera/editing, voice control, and improved performance, better battery life.

Those features will not be added to the 3G version.

Status
Not open for further replies.