iPhone 3G Slowness Problems Helped by iOS 4.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Apple doesn't abandon customers. Technologies advance.
Anyone buying tech should learn this lesson within the first year of purchasing. How many three years old articles of clothing does one take from a wardrobe?
Consumers buy and buy and buy again…The fundamentals of capitalism. Americans worship it then constantly whinge when it bites them on the bum.
As Prince Charming found, one can't shoehorn a fat woman into a small shoe.

nmsumike

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
I'm going to just say as a user who had a 3G when IOS4 came out that wtf was apple thinking! No technology company just releases a new version for their proprietary decide and not test it with existing hardware that users will most likely have. I'm pretty sure it was a bogus push to make 3G users bail on their phones to get the iPhone 4 out of frustration (i was one of them!). With a year still left on contract and a near useless phone that would crash when trying to text, I couldn't take it anymore and didn't want to break contract.

I know for my next phone i'm bailing on the iPhone because of this BS.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]Apple doesn't abandon customers. Technologies advance.Anyone buying tech should learn this lesson within the first year of purchasing. How many three years old articles of clothing does one take from a wardrobe?Consumers buy and buy and buy again…The fundamentals of capitalism. Americans worship it then constantly whinge when it bites them on the bum.As Prince Charming found, one can't shoehorn a fat woman into a small shoe.[/citation]
Buddy, next time your car breaks down you don't want to get the same response from the manufacturer/dealer as these customers (paying customers) got from Apple. It's not about capitalism, it's about providing support for a device that you released only 2 years ago and the customers paid for. That's called good business and in some circles even basic courtesy.
To make matters worse, the same company came up with newer tech that, guess what, is more expensive than the 3G, and simultaneously crippled the 3G (see nmsumike's experience). How convenient is that?
My computers are not new, but I can still find updated drivers and support on their websites.
That should tell you something.
/troll feed

nologo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
im still convinced this isnt true...i resolved the problem on my 3G after i found performing the restore from backup (SEVERAL TIMES) made my iphone un-usable.
it appears the backup function was the problem..not sure if the 'restore' causes problems on 3G phones using 4.0.
simply perform a factory reset, when the option in itunes asks you to restore from backup, click no and select 'new phone' (or whatever the setting is). and then once the phone is built, click Sync..all contacts/apps will be restored and your phone runs nice n fast.
yes this isnt ideal because u lose sms messages etc but at least you have a working phone.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
The real question is about if apple knew about this and rolled out the "update" anyway, i have a hard time to accept that any competent Q&A department could miss a thing like this. That leaves a more sinister plan as option! Let the 3's suffer enough to purchase a 4... after all their locked up in their kindergarden and aren't likely to change brand to the more free world outside!

Seriously, either way wouldnt surprice me with what the company operates today!

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]The real question is about if apple knew about this and rolled out the "update" anyway, i have a hard time to accept that any competent Q&A department could miss a thing like this. That leaves a more sinister plan as option! Let the 3's suffer enough to purchase a 4... after all their locked up in their kindergarden and aren't likely to change brand to the more free world outside!Seriously, either way wouldnt surprice me with what the company operates today![/citation]
While I would like to agree with your sinister plan approach, it seems that Apple's QA department is just plain useless. The breaking glass, bad antenna, this. I feel like they put too much into marketing and possibly r and d and basically nothing into testing. QA and QC are the two most important aspects of a big company, and they seemed to have lost their edge with quality, which leaves........nothing.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]The real question is about if apple knew about this and rolled out the "update" anyway, i have a hard time to accept that any competent Q&A department could miss a thing like this. That leaves a more sinister plan as option! Let the 3's suffer enough to purchase a 4... after all their locked up in their kindergarden and aren't likely to change brand to the more free world outside!Seriously, either way wouldnt surprice me with what the company operates today![/citation]
How could they not know it? They only have like 5 actual products that use this update, with as much money as Apple has they should very easily have enough Q&A people to test each product with this update and find this problem. It's not like they use 700 different hardware configurations, it's basically the same set of hardware with a few differences in different models (RAM, Flash Space) it shouldn't be hard to spot something like this problem.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]jomofro39[/nom]While I would like to agree with your sinister plan approach, it seems that Apple's QA department is just plain useless. The breaking glass, bad antenna, this. I feel like they put too much into marketing and possibly r and d and basically nothing into testing. QA and QC are the two most important aspects of a big company, and they seemed to have lost their edge with quality, which leaves........nothing.[/citation]

Who needs QA and QC when the marketing team will guarantee sales and retention through clever gimmickery and balls-out attacking of competitors?

Bates37

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
Are you all serious. All the press I read prior to the roll-out of ios 4 was that it would not work acceptably on a 3G and it would slow down a 3GS noticeably, but add the multitasking functionality to be able to use programs like Pandora Radio in the background. Your issues stem from addressable memory constraints with not CPU horsepower. You had to make an educated decision.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Bates37[/nom]Are you all serious. All the press I read prior to the roll-out of ios 4 was that it would not work acceptably on a 3G and it would slow down a 3GS noticeably, but add the multitasking functionality to be able to use programs like Pandora Radio in the background. Your issues stem from addressable memory constraints with not CPU horsepower. You had to make an educated decision.[/citation]

But but but shouldn't ''it just works''?

jadedgamerx

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
[citation][nom]nmsumike[/nom]I'm going to just say as a user who had a 3G when IOS4 came out that wtf was apple thinking! No technology company just releases a new version for their proprietary decide and not test it with existing hardware that users will most likely have. I'm pretty sure it was a bogus push to make 3G users bail on their phones to get the iPhone 4 out of frustration (i was one of them!). With a year still left on contract and a near useless phone that would crash when trying to text, I couldn't take it anymore and didn't want to break contract.I know for my next phone i'm bailing on the iPhone because of this BS.[/citation]

X2 - exact same situation I'm in, I now have an iPhone 4 because of it as well. Pissed off (even though I like the new phone a lot, minus the very EASY to scratch glass) about the whole experience. My 3G is a paperweight thanks to iOS4.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I can do one better on the "car analogy" front. It's like taking your sportscar into the dealership every 3 months for a routine maintenance/checkup/tuneup, and one day when you go to pick it up, they say "oh by the way we updated some software on the on-board computer. It doesn't run that well on cars that aren't the newest model, so it'll limit your speed to 40 mph at all times."

If that happened, there would be an outrage. Now it's happened in the phone world, and the outrage is entirely justifiable.

rockola

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
usersname: I've dealt with Apple since 1980, ten years as an Apple retailer. The company has a _long_ established tradition of abandoning its customers.

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I am the owner of an iPhone 3G, and I will be jumping ship after this whole debacle. Seriously, I don't care at this point if the iPhone 4 is the greatest device ever. No more money from me Apple. Between the iPhone 3G that I suffered with since summer, and this new Macbook I just got at work (which feels slower than the 3.5 year old Macbook it replaced), I am sick of Apple.

Microsoft, as evil as they used to be, seems to be working hard at improving their customer's user experiences.

I'm tired of these overpriced status symbol Apple products,with their piss poor performance and horribly arrogant customer service.

ImagineTek

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Ok just for a bit of balance, it seems like a lot of people are complaining loudly that they're hanging around like lemons on a tree waiting for their Android devices that are less than a year old to get the latest update. I wonder what the prospect is of getting those devices running the latest version when those devices are 2 years old, and what the experience will be like. Methinks it is also going to be a lot of pain and disappointment.

{not a fanboy of any shade}

Status
Not open for further replies.