iPhone 3GS: First Look

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokemeister

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I assume then that to use the navigation features, say while driving, that you need connectivity to the internet. That doesn't sound like a good solution in terms of reliability, ie. always there when you need it, or from the perspective of cost as a lot of data will be downloaded to keep the google map updated. My aging PDA has Tom Tom Navigator installed and it works a treat with no need for internet access just to guide me somewhere. Anyway, it's just an observation as I dont have an iPhone so I'm not up on what apps are available. I'm afraid the whole Apple monopoly gets up my nose.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Jokemeister[/nom]I assume then that to use the navigation features, say while driving, that you need connectivity to the internet. That doesn't sound like a good solution in terms of reliability, ie. always there when you need it, or from the perspective of cost as a lot of data will be downloaded to keep the google map updated. My aging PDA has Tom Tom Navigator installed and it works a treat with no need for internet access just to guide me somewhere. Anyway, it's just an observation as I dont have an iPhone so I'm not up on what apps are available. I'm afraid the whole Apple monopoly gets up my nose.[/citation]
Driving while staring at an iPhone screen isn't safe. But to answer your questions: 1) iPhone uses the cell network (in this case AT&T 3G) to load its maps, not wireless Internet access. 2) All AT&T iPhones have unlimited data phones, so you don't incur fees no matter how many times you load the maps.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]A conclusion would have been nice.[/citation]
Okay, Curnel_D. Here's your personalized conclusion:
"After about four hours use, nothing about the iPhone 3GS convinced this iPhone 3G user that she simply must have it. The speed--both in Web browsing and in switching between applications built into the phone--is a genuine perk to the 3GS, but using the phone is akin to using a laptop with a better processor than the one yours has. It certainly doesn't mean its time to ditch your one-year-old laptop in favor of a brand new one. For iPhone Classic owners, the upgrade option might be far more compelling.

Most iPhone 3G owners will be satisfied with the shiny, new feeling they got when they installed iPhone OS 3.0 on their phones earlier this week. For now, that's enough to carry most of them through until something even better (iPhone or not) comes along."

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I see the camera section of this article with interest.

It's interesting how so many of the major media agencies tolerate subpar (read: crappy) picture quality from the iPhones, but demand ultra-sharp pictures from other handsets like LG, Samsung and SE, and then still criticize for lacking focus, flash, etc, etc. It seems very, very hypocritical to me.

Especially the AutoFocus is a complete failure for the iPhone if it actually does not lock into the particular item. Of course, you were quick to make excuses, calling fluorescent light the problem.

The truth is, my SH906i with 5.2MP autofocus takes pictures fine under fluorescent light. It's not overexposed, not underexposed, image is sharp and best of all, it's actually watchable.

Just a little rant from someone who owns a Japanese phone and had experienced so much better.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I see the camera section of this article with interest.It's interesting how so many of the major media agencies tolerate subpar (read: crappy) picture quality from the iPhones, but demand ultra-sharp pictures from other handsets like LG, Samsung and SE, and then still criticize for lacking focus, flash, etc, etc. It seems very, very hypocritical to me.Especially the AutoFocus is a complete failure for the iPhone if it actually does not lock into the particular item. Of course, you were quick to make excuses, calling fluorescent light the problem. The truth is, my SH906i with 5.2MP autofocus takes pictures fine under fluorescent light. It's not overexposed, not underexposed, image is sharp and best of all, it's actually watchable. Just a little rant from someone who owns a Japanese phone and had experienced so much better.[/citation]
Couldn't agree more: many phones out there--especially those that aren't "smartphones"--have much better cameras than the iPhone 3GS (and the other iPhones too). The truth is, other camera phones would've performed much better in our testing environment. Next time I will try to include comparison shots from other camera phones, so that you can see the difference.

Thanks for reading,
Rachel Rosmarin
Editor, Tom's Guide

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Tomsguiderachel[/nom]Couldn't agree more: many phones out there--especially those that aren't "smartphones"--have much better cameras than the iPhone 3GS (and the other iPhones too). The truth is, other camera phones would've performed much better in our testing environment. Next time I will try to include comparison shots from other camera phones, so that you can see the difference.
Thanks for reading,Rachel RosmarinEditor, Tom's Guide[/citation]

Thanks for the consideration!

Status
Not open for further replies.