iPhone 4 Coming to T-Mobile This Week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm not quite sure whether to be happy for T-Mobile subscribers or cry for them...

Jinx13

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
T-Mobile is on the same type of network as AT&T, so it is a simple Software/Firmware unlock. Verizon would require a whole new piece of hardware put in the phones. Plus Verizon has pretty well jumped full force onto the Android bus, to get the iPhone now would undermine that. Not that they would turn it down if Jobs offered.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Why all the T-mobile bashing? Are they really that bad in the USA? In most regions of Europe, they offer 100% complete coverage and absolute reliability (although I never understood all that talk about calls dropping and other coverage problems, even the remotest village in Northwestern Europe has perfect coverage by at least 2 operators...)

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
They are *yanking your chain*. T-mobile is not getting the iPhone, not this week, not for a long time. AT&T has been too good to Apple to put up with them jumping off of their exclusivity contract. AT&T had a bad quarter despite iPhone sales, so I can assure you they need Apple and Apple needs them. You think your iPhone drops calls now? Get one on Tmobile and prepare for a drop-pocalypse.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I would like to purchase the Iphone 4 (Canada) but Apple would have to fix the antena befor i consider it an option... And I don't want a case. I like 3m clear coat and thats all, I want the phone to work!

There are other options available, not like I HAVE to get the iphone 4... FIX THAT JUNK!

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
[citation][nom]jisoo411[/nom]I'm not quite sure whether to be happy for T-Mobile subscribers or cry for them...[/citation]

tears of joy, no doubt....

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Why all the T-mobile bashing? Are they really that bad in the USA? In most regions of Europe, they offer 100% complete coverage and absolute reliability...[/citation]
That's Europe, where the countries are smaller and more compact. Here in the U.S., T-Mobile has some glaring holes in its coverage (the entire state of Iowa is a roaming area). Its not a bad network, its just not as complete as Verizon (or even AT&T). T-Mobile also only has 3G in major cities (not everywhere like Verizon).

Still, I've been with T-Mobile for 6 years and had no problems. (there is 1 small town of 900 people I drive through daily where I might drop a call, but otherwise coverage is good). They are the cheapest nationwide US carrier and still have unlimited data plans unlike AT&T and Verizon. If you like in an area with T-Mobile 3G coverage, there's no reason not to use them really.

Still, I'd worry about the excess network usage with the iPhone. Sure, the network is good now, but as AT&T found out, the iPhone can kill throughput. Hopefully, if T-Mobile is getting the iPhone, they have taken the usage into account.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]rpmrush[/nom]T-mobile...really. Where is Verizon at?[/citation]
I somewhat doubt Verizon will get it now that it has a set of huge contacts for the Android.

That and AT&T and T-Mobile are the only major carriers in the US that use a GSM network. Verizon uses CDMA, which is a technology that is only really popular in the US and parts of China. The vast majority of the rest of the world (something like 84%) use GSM cell networks.

dapneym

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
One thing I'm wondering is if the iPhone 4's radio supports T-Mobile USA's 3G frequencies. I know T-Mobile USA uses 1700 and 2100MHz for its 3G and HSPA+ signal, and the iPhone 4 has support for 2100MHz, but not 1700MHz. Can support be added through an update to the radio's firmware, or would Apple have to produce a new model capable of running on 1700MHz as well?

I cannot wait until all the carriers (ok, except for Sprint) are running LTE networks with decent coverage. At least it should be loads easier to move between carriers if you don't like one of them. Plus will be easier to take your phone abroad as well if LTE networks exist where you're going. I know it's been great fro me in the UK as I was able to keep my US phone working.

G

Would still require a new 3G chipset to function on tmo's network. I could see tmo selling out like att did, i mean surely apple must be getting like 80 cents on the dollar for every iphone account lol, and tmo being the little guy could use the business. I use tmo, and their 3G network is good, but not iPhone good. I have an HTC HD2 and it works great, but only because hardly anybody really uses tmo. I imagine with ATT's load tmo would crumble within a week.

G

T mob uk has it advertise as it coming to the online store soon. All the other major uk networks have it so why not t mob? For my area and i live in london, t mobile has the best coverage along with o2. Although o2 when i had kept dropping calls. As for voda, there is no signal thats a fact and orange is very poor too. As for network 3, well they're just a waste of space:)

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Verizon would be my last choice as far as carriers. Terrible coverage and slow network. T-Mobile is very fast from what I have heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.