iPhone 4 Users to Miss Out on Some iOS 6 Features

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
[citation][nom]prince_david[/nom]That's a shame. The iPhone 4 hardware is still good and I am sure could have handled it.[/citation]

That's the Apple way, though. Force people to upgrade good hardware.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]The Greater Good[/nom]That's the Apple way, though. Force people to upgrade good hardware.[/citation]

As opposed to the Android way of simply denying them access to the entire operating system to force them to upgrade?

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Apple just dropped a steaming coiled pile of brown goo on their customer base.

Apple, speaking to it's loyal fans - "We've got this great new OS upgrade. It's superior in every way, shape and form. You're going to want it. Everyone who will be able to use every feature of the new OS please take 1 step forward."

Apple - "Whoa! Not no fast iPhone 3GS owners. But thanks for your money."

Apple - "Slow down there iPhone 4 owners. But thanks for your money."

Apple - "Stay where you are original iPad owners. But thanks for your money."

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
No SIRI on the iPad 2?

The iPad 2 has the same exact hardware as the iPhone 4S - in fact, the A5 chip in the iPad 2 is clocked at 1ghz and it only runs at 800 mhz on the 4S.

How can they not add SIRI to the iPad 2? Makes no sense other than a bully-marketing tactic to force a "New iPad" purchase...

...and they wonder why people love JAILBREAKING their iOS devices...

gnodeb

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Nice PR... Google and MS should learn something from Apple...

Everybody will get "OS6" label, but new features will be available only on newest hardware...

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Got screwed with an iPod touch 2G (which I bought in 2009 and in 2010 they cut support with iOS 4.2.1 being the highest supported). And now the cycle repeats for the very (un)fortunate recent iPhone 4 users. Great job, Apple!

Lesson learned. I'm not buying an Apple product again.

G

what is the point of saying how great IOS 5 is or how many people using IOS 5 vs the competitors when people with older hardware can not use some of the new features? How is that different from android customers who has to buy a new phones so they can enjoy their ice cream? BS.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
This is why people should not invest in Apple.... Your fancy phone or tablet is out of date before it comes out and then, the hardware is soo obsolete that you can't get more than 1.5 major OS upgrades out of it. I guess technically android is the same at the moment, if you have a phone or tablet running cupcake (version 1.5) there is no way it will support jellybean, but you can root it and do what you want with it if you really want that software upgrade.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]blablabla[/nom]what is the point of saying how great IOS 5 is or how many people using IOS 5 vs the competitors when people with older hardware can not use some of the new features? How is that different from android customers who has to buy a new phones so they can enjoy their ice cream? BS.[/citation]

The difference is that the iOS users on older devices get the 197... or so other improvements.

When you're stuck on an old operating system like Android users, you get zero improvements.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]vertigo_2000[/nom]Apple just dropped a steaming coiled pile of brown goo on their customer base.Apple, speaking to it's loyal fans - "We've got this great new OS upgrade. It's superior in every way, shape and form. You're going to want it. Everyone who will be able to use every feature of the new OS please take 1 step forward."Apple - "Whoa! Not no fast iPhone 3GS owners. But thanks for your money."Apple - "Slow down there iPhone 4 owners. But thanks for your money."Apple - "Stay where you are original iPad owners. But thanks for your money."[/citation]

The real problem is that the Apple "loyal fan base" has NO PROBLEM AT ALL with this kind of move. It is clearly apple bundling features into newer hardware to differentiate it and drive sales. However, if you ask any true Apple fan, they will say "well my xyz device still works great!" and completely ignore the fact that they were passed over on a simple feature like turn by turn nav (ffs Android has had this since the start, even in the lowest hardware.)

No, there will be all kinds of comments by the base praising Apple for being so forward thinking (even though at this point they are just blatantly playing catch up with Android) and you will probably even still see some pathetic souls taking snipes at Android the next time their OS revs and they announce that not all old phones will get it (even though the apps themselves that actually provide all the good features are all backward compatible and will keep getting updates, on ALL revs of Android.)

But ah well.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]The difference is that the iOS users on older devices get the 197... or so other improvements.When you're stuck on an old operating system like Android users, you get zero improvements.[/citation]

Hah, aaaaand here we go!

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]vertigo_2000[/nom]Apple just dropped a steaming coiled pile of brown goo on their customer base.Apple, speaking to it's loyal fans - "We've got this great new OS upgrade. It's superior in every way, shape and form. You're going to want it. Everyone who will be able to use every feature of the new OS please take 1 step forward."Apple - "Whoa! Not no fast iPhone 3GS owners. But thanks for your money."Apple - "Slow down there iPhone 4 owners. But thanks for your money."Apple - "Stay where you are original iPad owners. But thanks for your money."[/citation]
LMAO. As opposed to Android and Google... Just dump any and all Apps into the user base and let them fend for themselves when it comes to which App version will actually work with their hardware/version of Android...

Side effects ranging from App crashes to pulling the battery out to restart the phone.

Good try though on the Apple slam.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]This is why people should not invest in Apple.... Your fancy phone or tablet is out of date before it comes out and then, the hardware is soo obsolete that you can't get more than 1.5 major OS upgrades out of it. I guess technically android is the same at the moment, if you have a phone or tablet running cupcake (version 1.5) there is no way it will support jellybean, but you can root it and do what you want with it if you really want that software upgrade.[/citation]

Shut up! I do not own Apple's iCrap. But what you say is crap. This is basically valid for all mobile devices. With other manufacturers it is even worse. And until recently a 2 year old PC would hardly run any newer Windows version. Many manufacturers have even shorter shorter support. Yeah of course they officially support their crap for longer but after 1 year you never get any updates.

[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]Got screwed with an iPod touch 2G (which I bought in 2009 and in 2010 they cut support with iOS 4.2.1 being the highest supported). And now the cycle repeats for the very (un)fortunate recent iPhone 4 users. Great job, Apple!Lesson learned. I'm not buying an Apple product again.[/citation]

Wow, dude, you may also would like to upgrade your 1st generation iPod Shuffel, eh? Have you ever considered that it might actually be too old and obsolete for any new features? What would you expect to get on it. Siri? I bet you iPod 2nd generation does very well what it was designed for: playing MP3... or it doesn't play MP3s?

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]The real problem is that the Apple "loyal fan base" has NO PROBLEM AT ALL with this kind of move. It is clearly apple bundling features into newer hardware to differentiate it and drive sales. However, if you ask any true Apple fan, they will say "well my xyz device still works great!" and completely ignore the fact that they were passed over on a simple feature like turn by turn nav (ffs Android has had this since the start, even in the lowest hardware.)No, there will be all kinds of comments by the base praising Apple for being so forward thinking (even though at this point they are just blatantly playing catch up with Android) and you will probably even still see some pathetic souls taking snipes at Android the next time their OS revs and they announce that not all old phones will get it (even though the apps themselves that actually provide all the good features are all backward compatible and will keep getting updates, on ALL revs of Android.)But ah well.[/citation]

LMAO when donkey's try to compare Siri to Droid Voice commands. This new flyover turn-by-turn navigation to Droid turn-by-turn....

Yeah. My Windows Mobile 6.5 flip phone had turn by turn apps too.. LMAO Just like a Garmon or Tom Tom.... Cough cough, hey you want a hit of this too??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS