iPhone 4 vs. Android, Plus Early Review Round Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcainumbro

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
This chart was posted on a lot of sites, and as it was pointed out at other places there are lots of problems with the chart. Multi-tasking being just one, as it is a totally different animal and different capabilities between the OS's. That and there are different cost structures depending on what you want to do with the phone as well, so even those numbers aren't apples to apples.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Can't believe someone could spend $2k a year on a smartphone.
Yes it's nice to have everything in your pocket... but guess what, I spend $100 a year on a oldie phone (razr with pay-as-you-go).
What am I going to do with $1,900 a year? I'm all confused. Help.

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
There is obviously something wrong with this information.... Apple must be 3-4 times more expensive than everyone else... I know from reading the posts on Tom's that Apple is always at least twice as expensive and has half the features. This seems to indicate they might actually be the lowest cost in total ownership, and with features that are superior in many areas! It shows longer talk time, more apps, longer standby time, and lower price?!? What is the world coming to!

squiggs77

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Can't believe someone could spend $2k a year on a smartphone.Yes it's nice to have everything in your pocket... but guess what, I spend $100 a year on a oldie phone (razr with pay-as-you-go).What am I going to do with $1,900 a year? I'm all confused. Help.[/citation]

Thats for a 24 month period.

djtronika

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
just had my first Facetime with my iPhone 4. brought a smile to my face seeing my little guy at work. yes, yes, videochat has been out for ages. but apple has made it so easy to do. even if you're an iPhone hater you have to realize and see they have something very special here. hate me if you will, but it felt like a totally different experience than the usual, "hi honey hows it going? hows the baby?"

i have an iPhone. i love it. couldnt be happier. just my 2.

squiggs77

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
[citation][nom]applerocks[/nom]There is obviously something wrong with this information.... Apple must be 3-4 times more expensive than everyone else... I know from reading the posts on Tom's that Apple is always at least twice as expensive and has half the features. This seems to indicate they might actually be the lowest cost in total ownership, and with features that are superior in many areas! It shows longer talk time, more apps, longer standby time, and lower price?!? What is the world coming to![/citation]
[citation][nom]applerocks[/nom]There is obviously something wrong with this information.... Apple must be 3-4 times more expensive than everyone else... I know from reading the posts on Tom's that Apple is always at least twice as expensive and has half the features. This seems to indicate they might actually be the lowest cost in total ownership, and with features that are superior in many areas! It shows longer talk time, more apps, longer standby time, and lower price?!? What is the world coming to![/citation]

Look at the data limits.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I don't need a smartphone and I would not spend this much on one but I can see the excitement as manny people just depend on one device for almost all they do every day.

The chart is just a general reference and is useful too to compare "similar" products but obviously a deep set of test and analysis would be required for more accurate comparison. In the end every user will choose based on price and personal preferences and needs, as usual.

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]Droid X?[/citation]

Ive never used more than 2gb on my smartphone anyway.... I may be able to save more by going down to the 200mb plan.

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
[citation][nom]djtronika[/nom]just had my first Facetime with my iPhone 4. brought a smile to my face seeing my little guy at work. yes, yes, videochat has been out for ages. but apple has made it so easy to do. even if you're an iPhone hater you have to realize and see they have something very special here. hate me if you will, but it felt like a totally different experience than the usual, "hi honey hows it going? hows the baby?"i have an iPhone. i love it. couldnt be happier. just my 2.[/citation]

ummm...you could do the same with any nokia or android phone with a front facing camera and you will be able to do it on 3g/4g networks not just wi fi...and you can chat even with people on PC's or macs.,...not just other iphones...yeah...apple did not really do anything for you, you are just unaware of the options available to you.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
i dont understand people at all, if you dont have a business or a job that requires you to connect to the internet and check things, there is no reason for you to have internet access on a phone, esp when you have txt and pix unlimited. Now if you have money to burn I could see video being fun but that would require both individuals with same device

I think there should be a class action lawsuit against many of the cell phone carriers who are not 90% requiring you to sign up with a data plan when u want a nice phone that is just fast and u want a smart phone to use some of its features, wifi gets by a lot of times IMO

it used to be that you could cancel the data plan after purchasing a phone and you would be fine now its part of the contract... this is a bunch of BS

imagine going to the dealership and when your about to purchase a new car they make you sign up for all the repairs/maintenance to be done only at the dealership for say 5 years or something like what while the warranty was on the car... would you be too thrilled with that kind of service?

Sigh. The fact that two of the criteria most important to me don't show up on the comparison chart probably says a lot about me.
These are weight and dimensions. Thin and light = good. Heavy and thick = bad. If I'm going to carry it around every waking hour, it should be convenient.

G

The iPhone 4 isn't 4g. That fact should have been stated in the comparison chart.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
ok yea you can have your cheep plan at 200mb of data that i go through in a day ill keep my unlimited on sprint and use up the bandwith that they actually have

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Can't believe someone could spend $2k a year on a smartphone.Yes it's nice to have everything in your pocket... but guess what, I spend $100 a year on a oldie phone (razr with pay-as-you-go).What am I going to do with $1,900 a year? I'm all confused. Help.[/citation]
If you got the money... you spend it..

Status
Not open for further replies.